Chapter 88 - I Am Inevitable

Start from the beginning

What if she just turned the comm off?

Yes, it would be incredibly stupid, she knew that. But she couldn't focus like this. The aliens had already gotten some good hits on her because her head was distracted. And dirty wounds wouldn't do her any favors in this fight.

There was simply too much noise.

Not only was her head busy with her own thoughts, but it also had to make space for all the minds of the others. Those voices blended together into a roaring pandemonium, echoing around inside her skull, and as if that wasn't enough, there was the ruckus of the real world to account for as well.

In short, it was simply too much for her poor brain to handle.

But just as she reached up to her ear to turn the comm off, a very familiar voice broke through.

A voice that stopped Keira in her tracks. Time itself seemed to stop at that moment, but this time, it seemed like she was the only one who noticed the sudden stillness. All the sounds that up to this second had bothered her beyond belief, suddenly turned quiet.

Everything around her appeared frozen, it felt as if she was the only one who could move at normal speed. But the joy that roared into life in her chest was unmistakable. It was the voice she had dreamt of hearing again for over five years.

The voice she would always be able to distinguish out of thousands, no, out of millions. Wanda.

"You took everything from me."

She sounded beyond pissed.

And Keira barely dared to believe her ears. Sure, she had felt her fiancée ever since the portals opened. Had even held on to her presence like a lifeline, but it was a completely different thing to actually hear her. Not just in some distant dream or hallucination, but in real life.

The mutant spun around on the spot, her gaze desperately searching for any sign of Wanda while trying her best to not get her head chewed off by a frenetic alien.

"I don't even know who you are."

In this case, she was grateful for her enhanced hearing. It made it possible for Thanos' voice to bounce back to her through the comm, so she could hear him just as clearly as if she had been standing beside Wanda.

Keira silently thanked her lucky star that she had hesitated long enough to hear her fiancée's voice. Otherwise, she probably would've continued the fight without a goal in mind. And a part of her still would've believed that all of this was just a fever dream.

Yes, the evidence heavily pointed to the fact that it was all real, but after everything she'd been through, she was still hesitant to believe her own mind.

It had been a very long time since her head had been the safe space it was supposed to be.

So instead, a part of her, the part that refused to believe that anything could possibly go her way, just waited for the other shoe to drop. To reveal that the whole thing was nothing more than a hallucination. A dream.

"You will."

With all the aliens swarming around her, Keira finally grew tired of it. Instead of continuing to slice through the beasts, she fell to one knee and crashed her fist into the ground. Great diamond spikes grew from the spot she had punched and they impaled every enemy that dared to be in close vicinity to her.

The diamond spread across the ground like a weed, encasing everything it came into contact with, although it effectively avoided her comrades.

Only when the crystal surface covered the ground around seven yards in each direction, did Keira finally let up and rose to her feet. And it didn't take long until she caught a glimpse of the familiar, red powers she adored so much.