Five

Zed

Monday

"Made it!" He panted, exactly three o' clock on the dot he had managed to shove himself through the door of his daughters classroom.

It had officially been three weeks since his daughter's first day of school. While he had managed to make it on time most days, other days traffic was not on his side. He was getting dangerously close to spending about three hundred dollars in late fees..  and she had barely been in school a month.

Worst of all.. this Friday would be Zayla's first overnight visit with Missy and Dale.

His stress and most likely his blood pressure too was through the roof and it wasn't even close to Friday yet!

But of course the second his eyes connected with his daughters. None of it fucking mattered. He buried the feelings and put on a smile realizing Zayla and Ms. Lainey we're giggling at his dramatic entrance.

"You made it !" Zayla cheered running his way to give him a hug before heading to her cubby to grab her things.

"No traffic?" Ms. Lainey grinned, "Not today surprisingly, so how was she today?"

"Amazing per usual. She's very sympathetic for a three year old. Most kids by now fall into bad habits as they've gotten use to the classroom and learn new behaviors but.. She's the sweetest most caring friend we have in here." Ms. Lainey smiled, her eyes drifting to where Zayla was shoving her lunchbox into her backpack.

"You know.. technically I'm not suppose to offer it. Im supposed to be asked.." She began, Zed raised an eyebrow as he waited to see where this was going. "So if anyone asks, you definitely asked first... I could babysit Zayla after school. That way your not always rushing over here?" She had used finger quotes around the word babysit and Zed had gotten the implication. Since  it would only be for the times he was running late. The offer left the single father speechless.

"But if that's too weird I understand.." Lainey began to add, but he shook his head. "N-no! Sorry it's not that..  You've just been way more kind than most people we've met?" Lainey shrugged smiling as Zayla began to waddle over with her full backpack. "It's my job plus she's kind of one of my favorites.. Also I'm not suppose to say that." Her stern look made him laugh, his hand brushing through his hair as he thought about it. "After the last child gets checked out I'll just sign her out and we can play at the park across the street ? I get paid until four for prep either way."

"Are you sure? I could still pay you?" He was shocked as she only shook her head. "That would defeat the purpose of trying to help you beat the late fees. It's really no problem Mr. Necrodopolis.."

"Uh right okay... Then I guess it's a deal. Thank you!" He was tripping over words. Not sure what to say. "I promise not to over do it, work emergencies only."

"Sounds good." She giggled, grabbing a piece of paper she scribbled something down before handing it over. "Just let me know if you are running late and text me. I'll let you know when we are headed to the park." Taking the piece of paper I saw her name and number and quickly put it in my wallet to take care of later.

"I honestly can't thank you enough, I really appreciate it."

"Daddy!" Zayla hopped up and down almost getting taken out by the weight of her backpack. "Are we going home yet?!"