(She did.)

"Meeting Roy Kent today." He had tried to say casually, but even he knew he was failing. It was, after all, Roy fucking Kent.

Roy fucking Kent who was predictably unsmiling and menacing, just as the childhood relic promised he would be, but add to that rude and pretentious and shorter in person. And looking back, perhaps it was her decision to voice the latter observation out loud that properly cemented their feud, but Ada took no credit for laying its foundation. After all, she only vocalised the criticism after he proved to be a complete dickhead.

It was simple, really. Roy had been rude to Jamie, and Ada would not be Ada if she didn't defend him. And just like that, the roots of loathing were quick to spread across her internal body, wrapping around the hardy bones of her ribs and poking at the pink flesh of her entrails.

But it wasn't as though Ada was just a ball of hatred. A bit colder in the last few months, sure, but not evil. She disliked many things, like off brand cereal and denim vests, and she hated a lot of people, like who her father became after one too many pints, but she could love just as well.

For example, with the same fervour that she hated Roy Kent, she found herself loving Keeley Jones. In fact, she loved Keeley even more than she hated Roy. So much so that she was even willing to suffer through his presence if the girl asked her to.

Which she had. Many times. This morning. On her one day off.

"So glad you're here with me, by the way." Keeley cooed for what felt like the hundredth time, removing her manicured hand from where it was holding Ada's so that she could properly hold the steering wheel. Keeley hated parking.

    She also just hated driving in general, hence why she had begged Ada to accompany her to the club (it was easier to drive when crashing meant losing a best friend as well as a car – death always spooked her). They were going to pick up Jamie for his appointment, and then Keeley was going to take her out for lunch as recompense.

Ada huffed an amused breath. "People don't usually say by the way when repeating something they've already said so many times."

The blonde didn't so much as twitch a brow. It was difficult to offend Keeley Jones, whose sense of self was unyielding.

"I love you, you're so smart."

"Should've dated me instead of that idiot, then."

"Well, you're twins, ain't ya? I'm dating you but with a penis!"

A surprised sound came from their left, and they both turned to see Lesley Higgins, the club's director of communications, getting out of his car. He was an older gentleman, with a warm disposition and an aversion to tart language.

     Ada hadn't properly spoken to him since he drove her home from the hospital a few days back. He was there with his youngest son ("Just a check up," he had assured her, even though she didn't ask or particularly care) and had been both surprised and delighted to see her. She told him to not mention her visit to anyone, but was happy to accept the offer of a ride.

"Morning, Higgins." She and Keeley greeted in unison.

Keeley quickly turned to Ada. "Oh, my god!" She squealed. "We spoke at the same time! Maybe I sucked Jamie's twin magic when I sucked his-"