Shift

Zeni watched us in amusement as I bared my elongated teeth at the male striding towards us. Culn followed behind Knox, weighed down and huffing with all of the swords and different blades draped over him. I placed down the shining dagger, Zeni immediately picking it back up and inspecting my work.
My muscles screamed in protest when I heaved my tired body to my feet. Aches twisted their way through my flesh. My skin felt too tight in this body. Black veins stark against my pale skin. The contrast almost had my mind wandering back to the memories of black skin against me. Red eyes gazing up at me while he feasted.
“Good job, Maeve.” My skin flushed with his praise, and when his eyes met mine they flared brighter, hotter.
“I don’t need your praise,” I muttered, crossing my arms defiantly even as my very flesh yielded to him, heeding his commands.
“I do,” Culn cut in, dumping most of the weapons onto the table with a groan, “Tell me how masculine I looked carrying all that my prince.”
“You looked like a fish struggling to walk,” Zeni chuckled, “Oh wait. You are a fish struggling to walk.”
Culn’s expression soured and he attempted to thwack Zeni upside the head. A move that was easily evaded by the other male. I took a breath, settling back into my skin, bones popping and cracking. Pain splintered through me, the shift was slower this time. The beastly side of me still fought to obey the command it had been given.
“Did you need something?” I turned back to Knox, the fire in his eyes dimming slightly.
His expression tightened before quickly smoothening, “Just making sure you’re keeping up with shifting.”
“I don’t need your reminders,” The words snapped out before I could stop them.
I know. I know he is just attempting to be helpful. I should be listening to him, learning from him as Eli had suggested. And yet…
“I think you do,” His eyes narrowed, the color quickly flaring back to life.
“Then you are mistaken,” I curled my lip, the perfect portrait of disgust, “I need nothing from you.”
A cold smile stretched his lips. Sharp teeth on display and I was very quickly reminded of our size difference when he took a step forward. Crowding me. The fear that I usually felt whenever a male got too close was swallowed down by a false bravado.
“Nothing?” He lowered his head, leaning in close, “Are-”
“Knox,” Aldon’s voice cut off whatever challenge Knox had been about to issue, “Izaak and I want to speak with you.”
My eyes refocused, the heat that had been building inside me snuffed out. Knox slowly pulled back, scowling in annoyance. Finally the fear sparked back to life, tremors beginning to wrack through my body once he turned away. The adrenaline that had been keeping me on my feet was dissipating and I was going to crash.
I slowly turned back to Zeni, reclaiming my seat and tugging my cloak tighter around me. It was like those red eyes had sucked all the heat out of my body. I couldn’t look at the males beside me. Shame weighed heavily on my shoulders and it was all I could do to pick up another dagger and start polishing.
“Not too much farther to Zra.” Zeni muttered, letting out a weary sigh, “Is Entha having you go ahead again?”
“Of course,” Culn replied, I could almost hear his puffed out chest, “We should be there in a few more days.”
“Zra is a checkpoint of sorts,” Zeni explained, when I glanced towards him at the mention of this place.
“It’s a Dradan outpost in the middle of the sea,” Culn clarified, “Mixed breeds are usually sent there. They collect the fee for entering their waters.”
“Most of them are usually pricks,” Zeni smirked, “They get off on their own self importance.”
“How important can they be if they aren’t allowed to see their own city? Or live among their people?” I asked, attempting to rein in my emotions by focusing on the conversation.
“Don’t cast judgment on those you do not know.” I looked up to find Aren frowning down at us.
Her hair had been twisted up into a neat braid. The scowl marring her pretty features became more severe when Zeni scoffed. Aren crossed her arms and the flames in her eyes grew brighter, attempting to scorch Zeni with her gaze.
“Glare all you like, sweetheart.” Zeni chuckled, “You’re in denial about how ass backwards your people are-”
“They are not-”
“No need to deny it.” Zeni’s grin widened, “One day you’ll accept it and I’ll be here for you when you–”
“Get fucked Zeni.” She bit out spinning on her heel and storming away.
“Can’t get fucked if you’re running away!” He called out after her, the wicked gleam in his eyes shining brighter when she gave him a rude gesture over her shoulder.
“What was that about?” I asked, glancing between him and Culn.
“Nothing-” Zeni was cut off quickly.
“Lust.” Culn shrugged off Zeni’s angry growl, “These two constantly enjoy arguing. Thankfully he hasn’t managed to get the confidence to proposition her otherwise we’d all get seasick from them rocking the boat.”
A laugh bubbled out of my throat before I could stop it. I tossed my head back, laughter continuing to spill from my lips like wine. Culn quickly joined in with me, and every time we seemed to calm down it only took another look at Zeni’s sour face to start us up again.
“Don’t let your mate see you enjoying your time with us this much.” Zeni muttered, focusing back on his task of caring for the blades.
“Why not?” I challenged, fear coiling back in my gut.
“A jealous male is a dangerous thing.” He replied ominously.
“Don’t bother listening to his nonsense.” Culn rolled his eyes, “Dradan’s are not like lycans. Their males have become used to females sharing affection with other males besides her mates. Some even couple up with males that are not theirs.”
“How do you know that?” I asked, my eyes narrowing when he smirked.
“I have been on the receiving end of their females… attention more than once.” He grinned, “Only once did a female’s mates come after me for sleeping with what was theirs. She quickly sent them on their way and we continued to enjoy our time together for the next few days.”
“How…” I hesitated, “Odd.”
“Their empress has not been the best example,” Zeni replied, “Tales of her infidelity even reached us far across the sea.”
“She’s not the best person is she?” I glanced behind us to make sure the princes hadn’t heard me.
“She’s the best at being the worst.” Culn chuckled, “I’m still impressed that she hasn’t been overthrown yet.”
“Why would she be?” Zeni twisted his head, his neck cracking with a loud pop, “Her people are devoted to the point of madness. She is more goddess than person at this point. Statues keep popping up randomly, her people worship the ground she walks on.”
“Statues?” I repeated, attempting to remember a time my father had a statue of himself created.
“Mostly in small villages.” He clarified, “I think it’s a reminder to those that would stand against her.”
“Why bother?” I grabbed a new blade to polish, distracting myself from the confused look Zeni was giving me. “Rebelling against her I mean. I doubt it would change their lives. Even if it did it would most likely be for the worse.”
“That is exactly the reason she is still in power.” He ground out, glaring at me, “When people think that their life is tolerable so they decide it is more convenient to forget about the people suffering far worse than them. Like the hundreds that die every year in her mines. Pushed to the brink of death by her soldiers and then slaughtered like animals when they are no longer useful.”
“I’m sorry.” I swallowed harshly, “You’re right. That was callous of me.”
His words only served to remind me of the other females that were still suffering at the hands of my fathers soldiers. I had done just as he said, ignored others because I wanted to forget my own pain. Not that I had really been able to escape the guilt. I could feel the souls of the dead males weighing on me like shackles. Keeping me from ever moving forward.
“Relax, Zeni,” Culn scolded, “She doesn’t know what is really going on there. I didn’t either until I joined this crew. Dradan is surprisingly good at hiding its dirty laundry. The rest of the world is shown a unified front. They have no idea of the darkness that lurks behind the shimmery facade.”
Zeni rolled his shoulders, loosening the tension that had built there, “Right.”
The time for chatting was clearly over. His eyes had become shuttered and he wouldn’t meet my gaze. Culn rolled his eyes dramatically before stalking away from us towards the other side of the ship. I swallowed down my disappointment and let the shift wash over me.
It hurt more this time, dread squeezed my chest. The feeling that I was doing something horribly wrong only seemed to grow, but no punishments came. Time ticked on and I continued to switch back between my different forms. It wasn’t long before I could feel eyes on me, but when I paused to look no one was watching me. I chalked it up to paranoia and kept working.