25

Ember

The sounds of his screams echo in my mind.

"Ember."

I sit up, letting out one of my own.

In a panic, I thrust my arm outward, dagger slicing through the air. A strong grip finds my wrist, abruptly stopping my attempt of an attack.

"Ember," that same voice says. "It's me, Finnick."

I stop my struggle and my vision finally focuses on the handsome man in front of me. My labored breaths come out in pants as I try to calm myself down. Finnick's hand reaches out and tucks a stray hair behind my ear, his eyes never leaving my own.

"He's okay," Finnick says calmly in reassurance. "Come on, there's another parachute."

The two of us join the rest of our alliances and begin splitting the thirty-three rolls evenly. I force myself to choke down the bread, but it's hard when all I can think about is the sound of Wes' screams.

Johanna's eyes catch mine, an emotion flashing behind them, before she moves over to take a seat next to me. "You were mumbling his name in your sleep," she informs me.

I stay silent, glancing up at the various eyes on my figure. A glimmer around Katniss' neck catches my attention. That's new.

In fact, I believe the pendant she's wearing belonged to Peeta. The pair break off, emerging themselves in the water. I tear my eyes away from them once I determine they're not going anywhere.

"Just," Johanna paused. "Don't forget about your  why."

My lips turn up into a smile at my friend. I know she's referring to the future I envision for Wes.

"So you do care about me," I tease, pulling her into a hug.

The girl doesn't return it and outwardly expresses her distaste for my affection. "Okay, okay," she spits out, shoving me off of her.

I bite down on my bottom lip to stop the giggle from escaping.

"Hey Finnick, Ember!" Katniss yells with a wave of her hand. "We found out how to make you pretty again!"

I wink at Johanna and say, "Duty calls."
She just rolls her eyes at me in response.

"Race ya," Finnick says, jumping up and taking off towards the water.

I scramble up, slipping against the sand, and follow after him. "Cheater!" I yell at his retreating figure.

He's pumping his arms in the air in triumph when I finally make it. "You cheated!" I yell, playfully pushing him in the back.

Finnick turns to me and I can tell by the goofy grin on his face what he's about to do next. I quickly jump away with my index finger pointed in his direction.

"Don't you da-" but my words are cut off by my squealing and suddenly I'm over his right shoulder. He starts running towards the roaring waves and I squirm under his tight grip that's dangerously close to my butt.

"Fin!"

The threats I want to shout out at him are swallowed by the salt water that rushes up my nose and down my throat. I come up coughing, still wrapped tightly in Finnick's arms. He starts to laugh and I can't help but to join him.