[7] Indominus Rex

Start from the beginning

When they hit the others, it was enough to lodge them and get them moving. 

 As they slid down the zip line, Darius saw the Indominus rex finally topple the Tower. No one had yet reached the end of the zip line, however. As the supports crumbled, the zip line went slack.

Darius and his friends fell into the jungle below.

🦕🦖🦕

The tree branches must have slowed our fall, Tom thought, rubbing his head. He'd landed on the ground only moments ago. Looking around, he saw that everyone was accounted for, laying in various positions, some shakingly getting to their feet.

 Then the ground beneath their feet rumbled.

"It's coming," Ben fearfully whispered. 

"It could be anywhere," Jackie gasped.

"The Observation Tower was that way?" Brooklynn wondered in a daze, spinning around. "Or was it that way?"

Sammy looked at Brooklynn, but the girl hadn't noticed, no one noticed Sammy at that moment. "Okay, I'm sorry, but I..."

Giving up trying to explain, she reached into her pocket and pulled out Brooklynn's phone. Or rather, what remained of it. The phone had been smashed in the fall. Sammy quickly slid the broken phone pieces back into her pocket.

"Where is..." Darius spoke up. Tom watched as the boy frantically checked his pockets. "No, no, my necklace!"

"Seriously? We're stuck in the jungle with a dinosaur that will end up picking his teeth with your bones after devouring the rest of us!"

"You don't understand--" Relief washed over Darius when he remembered. "I left it in my bunk!"

"We've got slightly bigger problems," Kenji said as the Indominus roared and the ground shook.

As one, the kids were off and running, ducking under tree branches as they raced through the jungle—away from the Indominus rex.

"Everything will be fine when we get back to camp," Tom whispered to himself. He hoped.

They kept on running, and no one looked back, not even for a second.

🦖🦕🦖

They arrived at the Camp Cretaceous base, only to find that the compound had already been ravaged by the Indominus rex.

Deep, clawed footprints could be seen all over the campgrounds. The common room had crashed to the ground, and several of the rope bridges that connected the various tree houses together had been ripped down. The elevator had been smashed, too.

There would be no way to get up to the bunks.

Or my necklace, Darius thought.

The Indominus rex roared again, but Darius could tell that the roar was receding—the dinosaur was moving in the opposite direction from camp.

"Dave, Roxie...they must have all gotten away," Sammy said hopefully.

"Orr they got--" Jackie started, but stopped once she saw Ben's fearful face, and Darius staring up at the destroyed place. Thankfully neither boy had heard her. 

"We're on our own," Yasmina said matter-of-factly. 

In that moment, a furious Brooklynn spun to face Sammy. "Give. Me. My. Phone!" she ordered.

"Wha—" Sammy said.

"I don't care about you sneaking into the private lab, I don't care about whatever you did with the skin samples you took from the Sinoceratops," Brooklynn spoke rapidly out of anger, stress and frustration.