2

"αντίο και αντίο αγάπη μου" ("Goodbye and farewell, my love") Liliana Evelyn Gilbert Lightwood had never felt so empty, not without her best friend, boyfriend and partner in crime Luke Callahan. It wasn't fair to say the least that the two lovers' story had ended abruptly but that was the life of a demi-god and a Shadowhunter witch.

Two sides of two different worlds, death was a dear friend that had stolen Luke away from her and yet, she knew that this was the card that they had been dealt with. For Lily, Luke Callahan would be someone she would carry with her forever like all those she had lost.

Her friends.

                   Her adoptive parents.

                                  Her biological family.

                                                  The Lightwoods.

The truth was as Lily stood by Luke's headstone, she felt empty, hollow, nothing left inside of her as the last piece of her life was taken away.

Now all she had was herself in a world so cruel.

Her fingers tingled with magic as she felt like an outsider watching herself fall onto her knees and scream unleashing the magic and pain bottled up inside of her. She could feel the wave of energy hit her in shocks as she watched herself cry, whispering to whichever God was listening.

To Luke's father, Hermes.

She whispered of the stories he'd told her, the dreams he held, the dream of making his father proud, the pain he held, the love he had never gotten to express to his half-brother Luke Castellan and how unfair it was that he was gone.

He left her alone in the world where she'd been deemed a curse, where she was unwanted, abandoned and left alone to die.

It was unfair that Luke Callahan was gone. . .

And Liliana Evelyn Gilbert Lightwood was the one to be blamed.

................

Liliana knew that dreams brought nothing but chaos, they were the reason behind sleepless nights, unspoken lingering thoughts, the undeniable presence of doubts and fear and they were the reason why Liliana had never found more about her magic.

Yes, she used her magic, but she never wanted to find out the full extent of her magic.

She'd heard whispers about chaos magic and murmurs about a witch with scarlet powers, she knew the story behind the fear that ran down people's spine at the mention of the 'Scarlet witch' but Lily knew that she was a myth, a legend. . . The Scarlet witch was just a story.

At least, that was what Liliana had thought until she met Kara.

Kara was the one that had installed the curiosity of her past, of her powers and her family and Kara was the reason she was alive. Their friendship had started when a 6-year-old Liliana had stumbled upon a branch and scraped her after she had been chasing a butterfly in the park.

The immortal fallen angel had carefully consoled the 6-year-old Shadowhunter and had given her an ice cream as a treat to cheer her up before retreating into the shadows as a worried Alec Lightwood and Jace Herondale ran up to her asking her if she was okay.

From then onwards the pair, Kara and Liliana, had been close and were almost as thick as thieves. An unlikely duo and an unlikely friendship . . . after all, who would've thought the almost 7000-year-old fallen angel would have become friends with a hybrid.

The two were each other's people, their anchor and their reason to keep going. A friendship between a fallen angel and a hybrid that had begun to feel like sisterhood.

And as Liliana lay on the bed of her teenage home she felt out of place. Like she was meant to be there as much as she wasn't.

She heard the shuffle of footsteps and a knock on her door. "Come in," A red mist surrounded the room as Liliana twirled with the glowing red flame in the air.

"Hey," Liliana sat up upon hearing Elena's voice.
"Hi, Lena uh come sit" Patting on her bed Liliana moved to make space for Elena who immediately leaned her head on her older sister's shoulder. "I feel like I've missed on so much Lena," Liliana wrapped an arm around her sister as she listened to Elena speak.

"Do you remember when mum and dad died? After the funeral I said all those harsh words to you?" Liliana nodded wondering where this conversation was going to go. "And I said that you were being selfish and just wanting an excuse to leave me and Jer, I- well, I understand why you did what you did. And I understand that you needed to do it, you felt like a part of you was missing and I'm sorry." Liliana said nothing as she waited for Elena to finish.

"I found out I was adopted by Grayson and Miranda; my birth mother and father were Isobel Flemming and John Gilbert." She could hear the hurt in Elena's tone as Liliana asked her one question. "It doesn't change how you feel towards Jer right?" Liliana deliberately didn't mention herself because biologically she wasn't even related to Elena or Jer, she never was but she knew that she was walking on thin ice with Elena most of the time.

That was the thing about their relationship.

They used to be close and had shared a lot of things, they were practically inseparable but. . .

But after the accident Elena wasn't willing to let her in. In fact, both siblings weren't willing to let Liliana in and it was the very reason why Liliana had often felt like she wasn't doing her best. She had seen the way both her siblings had communicated and done things and when she realized that they were shutting her out she had also realized that they didn't need her.

They didn't need her anymore and it hurt.

It was then she had announced that she was leaving to find her biological family to Elena, Jeremy and Aunt Jenna that everything had changed.

And although she and Elena loved each other they never had seen eye-to-eye on her decision, Elena was the girl that was the life of the party and after the accident she had locked Liliana out of her life and had refused to let her in. They were too different to even get along so while Elena avoided her like a plague Liliana had tried her best to connect with the girl only to get shut out.

"No, it doesn't change the way I see you and Jer, Ana I'm sorry" Liliana almost flinched at the use of her childhood nickname. "I feel terrible for the way I treated you after the funeral and for making you feel like you were an insignificant part of our family. I made it seem like you couldn't go find your family and I- I was wrong. I'm sorry"

"It's okay" She watched Elena watch the fireball she was twirling between her fingers in wonder as Elena asked a question that made her freeze. "Did you find them? Your biological family?"

"No, I guess they just didn't want to be found."

"Well, it was their loss," Liliana smiled at Elena's words. "Yeah, it was."

"And your magic?"

"That's a conversation for another time Lena, for now tell me all about you and green eyes." The teasing was obvious in Liliana's tone as Elena blushed. "I love him, I mean Stefan is everything I want in a guy and he- he was there when I needed someone especially after the accident."

And as Liliana listened to her sister talk about Stefan Salvatore Liliana swore that she would do everything in her power to protect her siblings.