Arriving

My sister and I were sitting in the back of our Aunt's car on the way to our new prestigious boarding school in Florence, Italy. Florence is one of the most beautiful cities in the World, an ideal destination and under any other circumstances I would have loved to be here but not now, not when it's because we have no parents to teach and take care of us anymore.

Mia was staring out the window probably thinking along the same lines as me and looking miserable. I reached over and grabbed her hand, giving it a small squeeze when the gates of our new school came into view. She turned to me and gave me a weak smile, one in which I returned.

Wheeling our luggage through the courtyard of our new school and taking in the grounds which I had to admit were beautiful but that didn't change either Mia or my less than stellar mood which our Aunt of course picked up on and tried to lift our moods. "You girls are going to meet a lot of nice people here" Mia scoffed walking over to a bench and sitting down, I copied her as our aunt continued "You are" she tried to convince. "Maybe we will or maybe it's full of rich kids who only care about designer clothes" I worried. My aunt gave me a look before leaving saying she was going to try and find the principals office and to wait there for her.

Not even two minutes later we heard a boy calling "Give it back" and "C'mon give it back" while a couple of girls were tossing a book back and forth between them, obviously the it the boy was talking about. One of the girls through the book too far and it landed at mine and my sister's feet. We share a look before I pick up the book just as the girls who were throwing it and the boy came over.

The girl in front who must have been the leader of the group girls spoke first "Who are they now and why are they dressed for Halloween" she says with a haughty look and an I-am-greater-than-thou tone of voice. I can't help but internally groan and think back to my earlier statement to my aunt, I knew it. One look at the completely done look on my sister's face and I know she's thinking the same. The girls minions snigger before one chimes in "True and Halloween was months ago" The minions snigger again as if what she said was actually funny before the lead girl speaks again holding her hand out to me "Thank you for picking up the book". I look at her like she's crazy, she just insulted me and my sister and this book is clearly not hers, does she really expect me to give it to her. I step forward and pointedly hand the book to the boy as it's rightful owner.

My sister gives me a small smile and I return it. I turn back to the girls and the boy.The girls look dumbfounded and angry probably not used to not getting their way while the boy gives me a smile grateful smile that I return. Just then my aunt reappears and calls us, telling us that the principal wants to see us. Just in the nick of time too as the mean girls don't have time to make a retort.

In the principals office Mia and I are by the window, looking at the bars that are covering it, huh, appropriate. The both of us tunes back into the conversation happening behind us when the principal called our names.
"I understand this is a difficult time for you children, I'm so sorry about your parents, this must seem like a strange new world to you" the principle gave us a sympathetic smile and then continued "However I believe a whole new world is exactly what you need."

The principle and my aunt exchanged a few more words before handing us our keys to our dorms. Unfortunately we weren't bunking together but I luckily did have my own room, Mia, however wasn't so fortunate and had a dorm mate. We quickly stopped by my dorm so I could put my things inside than go help Mia unpack her things in her dorm but from the quick glance I got of my room I think I'm gonna like living in it.