• Six •

Mohini, who was now aware of Moloy's demise, dragged her son Anurag. He was still oblivious to his father's sudden demise in an accident.

Anurag cried, "Ma! It is about Rajesh uncle's health. How can you be so merciless?" He clenched his jaws as tears rolled down his eyes.

Mohini looked at her son with tear-filled eyes and slapped him. "It is about Moloy, your father. Don't you notice my condition? We have lost your father. I am a widow now." She sobbed loudly.

Anurag went numb hearing the news. Tears streamed down his eyes, his Adam's apple bobbed as he cried silently at the shocking news of his father's demise.

He expected Prerna's support, who had hidden behind a pillar after hearing the news. Prerna knew he would break down if she gave him support, which she didn't want. For the sake of a promise she had made to herself, she decided not to go back into the lives of the Basus.

Prerna didn't want Anurag to stay anymore at the hospital. She wanted him to leave as soon as possible, as otherwise, he would break into pieces.

There were tears in Prerna's eyes. She had lost a father and was on the verge of losing another father. She was praying hard for her father's well-being. There was silence on the hospital balcony. She could hear her own sniffles in the silence. She was in a fix when she had heard the doctor say, "Surgery or death," for taking permission from her. Her soul was numb and was telling her only one thing: that she had to be strong for her family.

Tears fell from her eyes and left her cheeks when she wiped them. She was weeping, because being strong wasn't in her control. It was about her father.

Prerna went outside the hospital to stop a rickshaw, as it was more important for her to go somewhere else. Even more important than her father's life or death.

Her destination was near, but the day seemed as long as eternity. The skies had judged her dedication to her family. Indeed, she was right; she had taken her decision related to Mr. Bajaj's proposal. Now it was only a formality to announce.

____

Prerna's POV

I pushed through the heavy gates of his enormous mansion. Alas! It was nailed down with the fetters. I was adorably draped in a maroon saree. Suddenly a voice stopped me, "Are you Ms. Sharma?" I was aghast to know how his watchman was aware of my identity.

I chose not to struggle. But with the confident movement of my arms my pallu flew with the wind, forming an arc in the air on its own accord with excellent finesse. This is what the skies wanted but I was indifferent.

He was on a green couch waiting for me when I reached. I noticed his gray hair. His back was facing the main door, when he lit his cigar and blew the dense fog into the air, as if to pretend of being unaware of my presence.

I choked and my sore throat was not helping at all. He proved me wrong as always and puffed the cigar to manage his craving.

"Bravo! Ms. Sharma, you are welcome in to the ocean of the business sharks." but he didn't spare me a glance or the antique clock hanging on the wall. When completed he said, "You're on time." He was as particular as always.

I shut my eyes tight, when he behaved as if it made no difference, but it was unbearable to me.

"I was always in the ocean, but my presence amounted to that of a tiny goldfish. The sea was dangerous but I slowly learnt to embrace happiness and my presence felt beautiful. It was not insignificant anymore." A hot tear kissed my cheek when I answered him.

He spun around to look at me and I could say he was skimming my heart out from the soul.

He looked in my eyes. He observed me keenly and uttered, "Almond-shaped beautiful eyes but puffy red with tears, why so?"

"None of your business", I expressed myself straightforwardly.

He came to the point that mattered, "Are you ready to accept my offer? Yes, of course, you are." He arrogantly answered the question himself.

I licked my lips, mustered the strength to walk towards the man while wiping my tears, "Yes, I am ready to marry you, Mr. Bajaj."

Mr. Bajaj kept the cigar in the ashtray. I was disgusted with his triumphant smile. I swallowed back my tears, "What will you gain by marrying me, Mr. Bajaj?"

"Anurag Basu loves you unconditionally," he stated, as he tied his cobalt blue gown's belt. "Aaj kal duniya mein aise unconditional love bahut rarely dikhai deta hai aur rare cheezon ko apni collection mein rakhna meri bahut buri aadat hai." Was he trying to be witty? Because his humor did not appeal to me in anyway.

I looked down with disgust.

"I will fulfill your ambition some other day because today I need to accomplish the promise I made to myself." He did not let me finish. Before I could complete he leaned in towards me, "Hmm... ziddi to aap bhi kam nahi, after all, you are goldfish, member of the ocean."

"Who you can easily hunt, with the power and money Mr. Shark?" I asked sarcastically. He smirked, lit another cigar, and said, "Go, every minute is precious."

I looked down and finally stopped him from leaving, "Mr. Bajaj! I have to share something."

"What's that?", he was irked and drew in a long drag from his cigar.

I ignored his preferences related to addiction.

"I'm pregnant, with Anurag's child."

He replied as if nothing bothered him. "That's fine, I will give him my name."

"But... But he isn't aware that he has a child." I kept my eyes shut as a tear rolled down my cheek.

"I will tell no one, anything else?"

I was aghast seeing his nonchalance at something I thought would shake the ground for him namely the prospect of my unborn child. He was my fiance now who had no problem with me sleeping with another man. How easy it was for him. All he cared about was money, power and his ego for which he could crush any person like an ant under his shoe. Rishab Bajaj was a disgusting man. I had seen it with my own eyes.

However, who knew he had to make my destiny! Was it my fault or was it written in my stars? I, Prerna Sharma, the person with great self-esteem, sold herself today. The only thing she had was sold for some pennies. But why?

Was it destined to me, or was it planned?

I loosened the grip over my body and was wobbly in my feet, and knelt down.

"Ma...."

But did the sky hear me?

The rain was heavy when I reached the hospital and got the news of my father's death. My mother broke all the ties with me. I did not even know how she knew about my decision to marry Rishab Bajaj.

On this unfortunate night, I lost my entire family. Happiness slipped out of my life like sand slips out of a clenched fist. It could be that Rishab Bajaj is the person who told my mother about the marriage.

I would marry him. I was Rajesh Sharma's daughter, and like my father, if I had given my word, I would keep my promise. But Rishab Bajaj has to pay for what he has stolen from me. He has to lose his happiness, prosperity, and serenity. I promise, Baba!