Chapter 1: An Interrupted Morning

Margaret awoke with a start, feeling her breath bounce off the blanket and onto her face. Her breathing was short and rigid and she didn't dare to move or open her eyes. After a moment of silence, she felt the tension leave her body as she sunk into her sheets and slowly opened her eyes and was met with her Marilyn Monroe poster stuck to the red-striped wall.

Another nightmare...

She sighed as she shifted in her bed sheets to turn over to the other side and settle in a more comfortable position. Margaret turned her face toward the window to see if she had slept in at all. But much to her surprise, it was still dark out. Usually, when she had these types of nightmares she always woke up due to her Granny shaking her awake on purpose or the morning light hitting her face. But she could still see the stars through the window very clearly. Almost too clearly. That's when she realized that the window was wide open revealing the night sky and letting the cold breeze flow in.

Assuming that her Granny must have opened the window while they were asleep, she sat up in her bed and rubbed her eyes getting ready to close the window. But before she removed her hands from her eyes, she heard the thud of a pair of feet hitting the floor. Without even thinking, she quickly pulled herself under the covers and covered her mouth. Every muscle in her body was begging for her to run out of the room but she couldn't. It was as if she was planted onto the mattress. As Margaret squeezed her blanket with her free hand, she listened as the footsteps came from the far wall and stopped near the window. She then heard the window creak and click shut. That was when she decided to finally sit up from the covers and observe what was going on.

Margaret let out a loud gasp as she saw a figure about half of her size standing sleepily at the window. At the sound of her gasp, the figure turned around and rubbed one of their eyes.

"Margaret...?" The figure said in a whisper.

At the sound of the figure's voice, Margaret let out a breath of relief. That quiet tired voice was her little cousin. She probably must have woken up to the breeze as well.

"Why are you up?" Margaret whispered to her cousin across the room.

Her cousin yawned before responding. "The window...and Pixie."

As her cousin spoke, Margaret could see the silhouette of a cat tucked behind her cousin's leg. The cat seemed to be using her cousin's night pants as a scratching post for his tiny claws and let out a soft meow while doing so.

"Oh, I'm so sorry Nel," Margaret said as she watched her cat hang onto Nellie's pant leg. "How about you give him to me and he will hopefully stay on my bed this time."

Nellie nodded before picking up the rather big cat, letting his back paws dangle near the floor. Pixie meowed loudly as he was picked up and tensed at Nellie's grasp. Once she arrived at Margaret's bed, Pixie was quick to scratch his way out of Nellie's hold and hiss at her. Nellie stuck her tongue out at the cat in response as Margaret looked at both of them with an amused look.

"Well, that's what you get for waking me up, Pixie," Nellie said to the discouraged feline.

Pixie stuck his head up at Nellie before he walked over to Margaret's side and nuzzled his white fur against her nightgown. Margaret started to pet Pixie's head gently making him purr loudly as he made his way to her lap. Meanwhile, Nellie watched in jealousy as the cat showed affection to her older cousin.

"How come he likes you more than me?" Nellie grumbled.

"Because," Margaret patted her hand on her bed to indicate that Nellie could sit with her. "You have to be more gentle with him."

Nellie climbed onto Margaret's maroon bed sheets and laid down on the back of the headboard next to her. Margaret then took Nellie's hand and slowly guided it over to Pixie. At first, Pixie backed up from her hand and nearly fell off the bed while doing so. Margaret quickly pushed him closer to her and started to pet him again, causing him to calm down. While Margaret was rubbing Pixie's head, she used her other hand to grasp Nellie's and pull it towards the cat. And this time Pixie didn't run away from Nellie's hand and received the soft pets with gratitude.