the rope that im hanging from | john hale + mary warren

this is platonic, guys. i see them as a father-daughter kinda thing.
_____________________
Mary ran through the forest leading to the gallows. Her (now ex) employer would soon be hung, Goody Proctor had told her so. This was all because she can't handle stress—damn her weakness!

Her once-orange skirt was now an ombré down into brown—the mud having stained it. She didn't even notice, though. Her mind was on finding where John Proctor would be hung, and stopping it.

After a few more minutes of running, she had soon realized that she was lost. A pathetic sob escaped her mouth as she slumped down, her head now in her hands.

"Mary Warren?" A raspy, masculine voice called out.

The servant girl lifted her head up, being met with Reverend John Hale's face.

"M-Mister Hale..." She responded, trying to wipe the tears away quickly.

"Ah, don't fret about that, child..." He quickly reassured, kneeling down to get on her level. "What brings you out here?"

"I could ask you the same thing, Mister Hale." She weakly chuckled. He did the same thing.

"I was out here to clear my mind on some matters... Now will you answer my question?"

"I was trying to find the gallows, sir. Has Mister Proctor already been...?" She trailed off, not wanting to finish the sentence. He solemnly nodded.

"Oh." Was all Mary could muster up before breaking off into sobs again.

"I-I didn't mean to, reverend! The threat of hangin' was promised, and I only wanted to save myself, sir! Plus Abby was right there, and—"

"Mary. It's okay." He cut her off, placing a comforting hand on her shoulder. It wasn't like the way Proctor used to do, though. This one didn't have any threat or favor behind it.

"I'm sorry."

"The lord forgives you, Mary."

"The lord must hate me."

"He doesn't hate anyone. One must understand that if placed under too much, they will eventually break."

"But I wasn't under that much! I was just... I was selfish. I only thought of myself. That's a sin, Mister Hale."

"Everyone in this town would be damned, then. You, Mary, are at least somewhat pure. Never lusted, gluttonous, angered easily, lazy... You're not even prideful or greedy anymore. You simply thought to save yourself, child." He calmly explained, now sitting down next to her.

"But I have done those things. All of them. I'm no pure child anymore, reverend." She sputtered out, trying to curl in on herself.

"John Proctor had done those things too, Mary. He lusted for Abigail, boasted his name, angered quick, took more than necessary... If you feel bad that he must hang instead of you, don't. He was much more hellbound than you ever were."

"But he died with his good name, did he not? Me? I'll die with my sinful name! Everyone knows me as a liar, a sinner, a delusional child... Mistress Proctor is the only one to forgive me—"

"I forgive you, Mary." He cut her off, a soft look on his tattered face.

"...And you, sir. Everyone else in the village thinks me deranged, sir. That I must leave like Abigail and Mercy Lewis, and never come back."

"I don't, child. You are a child, only eighteen years old. You're still figuring out life, as are the rest of us. Allow yourself this."

She stayed quiet for a moment before turning her head to smile at the minister, her cheeks rosey from crying. "Thank you, reverend." He nodded with a smile before pulling her into a side hug.

They sat there for a while, just enjoying the other's embrace. Soon, the sun set upon the land.

"Thank you for this, Mister Hale, but I must be going back to help Mistress Proctor." Mary quietly explained before standing up, brushing down her skirt before fixing her bonnet.

"Do you need an accompaniment? I would like to speak with Mistress Proctor myself, if that would please you."

"It would. Thank you, Mister Hale." Mary smiled before the two made their way towards the Proctor house.
__________________
if u guys want a part two lmk (i'll probs end up making one anyways lol)