Chapter 18 - O, Christmas Tree

Start from the beginning

"Take cover, Kate! The infamous Bridgerton snowball massacre is as ruthless as pall-mall, if not worse!" Colin laughed as he ran past her towards Gregory, moulding a huge snowball in his hands. Kate gave out a little shriek when another snowball almost hit her, this time tossed at her by Eloise, so she figured out it would be better to take cover behind a large statue in the gardens, since she was at the moment not as mobile as the younger Bridergertons.

"Are there some sort of rules to this... Massacre?" Kate hooted at Colin.

"Well, there is a point system!" Colin replied from behind a rosebush and whacked away a snowball towards Hyacinth. "Ten points for the upper body, twenty points for arms and legs. Forty points for a headshot, fifty if it is Anthony's head!" He laughed and ducked from a flying ball that almost hit his shoulder. Kate grinned and started to mould up her own pile of ammunition, but she found it surprisingly hard to hit rapidly moving targets such as Gregory and Hyacinth, while she herself was stuck in her stronghold behind the statue.

"Kate, what on earth are you -" Anthony began, as he had apparently finally arrived outside as well, but his words got muffled out by a snowball that hit him straight in the face. Kate had finally found an easy enough target for her little white cannonballs.

"Haha, fifty points to Kate!" Colin rejoiced and tried to throw a ball at Anthony as well, but he had already angrily wiped away Kate's snowball from his face and dodged Colin's attack quite smoothly. Then, Anthony turned his smouldering and evilly calculating eyes towards Kate and she instantly knew that she was in big trouble.

"Oh no, no, no, no...!" She shrieked and tried to back away into the bushes surrounding the statue, but they were too thick with branches to provide her any shelter. Anthony had by now scooped up a large pile of snow into his hands and approached her threateningly. She tried to whisk away a few snowballs at him in defence, but she was laughing too hysterically - and panicking too much - to be able to aim at all. "Colin, help!" She pleaded, but Colin had already launched an attack towards Eloise and could not hear her desperate cry for aid. Anthony grabbed her by the wrists, stopping her from throwing any more snowballs at him and gently wrestled her down on her back to the soft snow.

"This is what you get for trying to best me in the Bridgerton snowball massacre..." He laughed mischievously and stuffed snow onto Kate's face and neck.

"Argh, no...! Bloody hell, it is cold...!" Kate screamed when the snow melted against her warm chest, ran down her bosom and in between her breasts. "Look what you did, my bosom is all wet and freezing...!" She shrieked out laughingly.

"Oh no, what a tragedy..." He grinned, buried his face against said bosom and kissed her, as if that would somehow make the situation less wet. But at least his breath was hot, Kate thought to herself, and tucked the edges of her scarf under her bodice as soon as he was done. Anthony had already begun to scout out for his next victim, spotted that Benedict had now joined and threw a ball straight into his back, where it landed with a loud smack.

"Hey...!" Benedict exclaimed and spun around. He began to march towards Kate's and Anthony's hiding place, while scooping up snow and moulding a firm ball as he went. Kate cast a sly grin at Anthony and nodded towards Benedict while signalling for her husband to wait.

"No, do not shoot...!" She stood up and raised her hands up in surrender. "Do not shoot, I am pregnant!" She pleaded as she stepped out from behind the statue. Benedict smiled understandingly at her and dropped his snowball to the ground, but was immediately ambushed by a cruelly laughing Anthony, who jumped up from behind the bushes and showered his brother with a series of hard snowballs straight into his chest and stomach.

"Good job, darling! I believe that was at least another fifty points to our team!" Anthony flashed a victorious smile towards Kate and wrapped his arms around her waist.