-

"So how did you nearly cut your finger off?"

"Well, I was on the trampoline. And you know those springs stuff, my finger got stuck in it and it felt funny. My dude over there wanted to see if he could do the same, it's like we came up with a trick or something. He hurt himself really bad, I don't know how" a 22-year-old exclaimed, it was obvious he was high or coming down from a high. He'd been nursing a large glass bottle of milk he'd found somewhere, his supposed best friend had actually cut the top part of his thumb off.

"Right, well it's all taken care of now. Promise me, you won't be this stupid in the future?" I ask, knowing that I'd see him again if the station is chosen for a clinic day anytime soon.

"I'll see what I can do. But dude, imagine if I could like... like jump from the top of a building on my skateboard and ride into the sunset. Dude that would so cool" he shouted loudly, the small cubicles we'd created, didn't hide any of our conversation. I could feel the eyes boring into our cubicle from all angles.

"That's not a good idea, can you come back in a week so we can check your hand?" I asked again, I don't know why I'm asking him anything.

"Sure, my guy." He says as he tries to give me an awkward handshake which I guess is unique to his friend.

-

"So, you decided to let your dog pull your son's tooth out?" I asked, today really is testing my patience. Each patient I've wondered if the next will be as stupid, so far, they're all equal.

"He loves the dog" the pregnant woman exclaimed while resting a hand on her stomach.

"Okay, but why did the dog have to take the tooth out?" I can feel every inch of my being trying to be as patient as humanly possible.

"Because he loves the dog" she states again as if I'm an idiot.

"Yes, I understand that. But why would you use a dog? What about string and a door?" I ask, knowing my advice will be futile.

"What a stupid idea, string and a door would do nothing. What do they pay firefighters like you?" She questions and I just about lose my cool. Her son was already awkwardly holding some cotton bud to his lip. He looked so uncomfortable while his mother held an accusatory stare.

"Let me go get another cotton bud for your son" I come up with the excuse in hopes I can escape this hell.

"Beanstalk, you're up" I shout although he's mere feet in front of me, I hold a smile on my face. An excitement filling my body as I think of the fresh hell, I'm sending him into.

-

"You got stung by a jellyfish in Angle Lake? A lake that has no jellyfish. Has never had any jellyfish and never will have any jellyfish" Today is the day of stupidity. How can I put a request in to send the stupidity out of here. It had been 4 hours since I'd left the kid with the tooth, and Jack was still talking to her.

"You weren't there! Look, it gave me a rash" This sorority girl shouts for everyone to hear. I put gloves, faking an examination. It's clear that she'd scratched her leg on some type of fishing cage. Sure, if you're insanely uneducated it probably would like a rash. But then again, if you're that stupid, how did you get to college.

"Okay, that's not a rash. It looks like you scratched it on some metal. You're going to need a tetanus shot before you leave here today. Over there is Vic, she'll happily do it for you" I say as I throw my gloves away.

-

An hour before closing this clinic down for the day, and one last appointment. Andy's cousin had arrived here after falling off of a moped. She'd been sent my way and she seemed to be thrilled by it.

"You look so strong" she kept repeating, reaching to grip my arm as I taped up her forehead. She didn't need stitches; it was mostly just blood and dirt on her.

"Thank you" I say, concentrating more on her forehead than her words.

"Are you dating anyone? Are you still doing your Wednesdays? I'm going to that bar you like at 7 tonight, come by" she propositioned.

"I'm engaged" I state, every time I see her, she tends to be handsy or ask me out.

"Oh come on, I probably could treat you better than any man could." She whined, reaching for my arm again and sighing in content. I think she's been smoking the same stuff as that guy earlier.

"She's a woman and she's good at what she does. Now, I'm going to get Andy as I have somewhere to be" I announce, already walking away and looking for Andy amongst the hordes of randomers.

-

A date, the one thing that I've been looking forward to all day. A date which wasn't necessarily conventional. Carina wanted to do something physical and sadly didn't hint towards our bedroom, my heart broke. She had asked about a trampoline park but earlier quite easily put me off. She'd asked about Joe's and again that was a no.

"How about I take you somewhere you've never been?" I ask as I attempt a mysterious tone. She looks amused for a second as we make eye contact.

"Are you trying to be cryptic? You need to work on that, bella" she advices me with a big smirk on her face.

"I thought I was successful" I feigned surprise as she walked over to me. We'd been sat at home for about an hour, both done with our shifts. Both of our shifts weren't emotionally too heavy so we were both in high spirits, something that is rare during the week.

"What am I going to need for this so-called surprise?" She asked me being as cooperative as possible.

"An overnight bag, warm clothes and shoes you can walk in" As I shared my short list, she nodded a long until the very last thing.

"Why?" She whined grabbing a hold of my hoodie I'd changed into.

"Does my baby not want to walk at all?" I teased in a cutesy tone, something that felt so foreign to me, but it worked for her.

"No" she whined and cross her arms, her pout coming out ever so slightly. She looked like such a little toddler about to throw a tantrum.

"Can you humour me?" I ask and she rolls her eyes, for some reason I felt compelled to slap her thigh. Her eyes widened in response but her eyes darkened, she pulled her lip between her teeth and wiggled slightly.

"Do it again" she asked seductively as she ran her hands under my clothes and up my abs, her warm hands very much welcome.

"Pack your bag and you will see" I say, deciding that being strict might work for me.

"What if I don't want to?" she asks after a few seconds of silence, moving her hand out from under my clothes.

"If you don't, I can go to the surprise, and you can sit here all grumpy" I give her the option and her pout returns.

"But I want to go" she argues in a childish tone.

"All you have to do is pack your bag. If you want, I can carry you to the car" I offer and she just about jumps off the bed, giving me a quick peck on the cheek before getting to work. I roll my eyes at her sudden excitement, tonight could be a long night.