I: Charcoal and Cerulean

Start from the beginning

         There were two young men named Byron and Astin who had known each other for years, and lived in the town of Brevhinham.

         “That’s here!”

         “Yes, Joan. That’s here.

         Byron lived and worked on a farm just outside the town with his father. Astin worked as a farmhand on the Lord and Lady’s manor; he’d grown up there and didn’t know whom his parents were.

         “Were the Lord and Lady our ancestors?”

         “I’m not certain. This legend has been told too many times to be completely true. Now may I continue?”

         One day, Byron’s mother and sister, Emogen, arrived in Brevinham in a carriage, large bags and boxes full of furnishings, and clothes, and food. They had moved from Hildegard to live with Byron and his father.

         The last time Byron had seen his sister was when she was but a baby, and their reunion was joyful and warm.

         Astin visited the next morning as he always did, and when he saw Imogen, he was very surprised. Emogen was too, and ran inside to fetch her brother.

         “Who’s this?” Astin asked Byron, who had just finished sweeping the floor and was being tugged out of the house by the little girl.

         “My sister. Her name’s Emogen.” He explained to Astin that his mother and sister had decided to live with them in Brevinham.

         Absolutely charmed by her, Astin brought with him presents from the manor whenever he could. Mouthfuls of delicacies from foreign lands, small squares of pretty fabric, whatever he could take without getting caught.

         Byron found out what he was doing and warned him to stop.

         “Em already misses her life in Hildegard,” he said one day as they travelled to the market. “She could do without your reminders.”

         Astin conceded; he had given Emogen gifts because he wanted to make her happy, and the last thing he wished was for his gift giving to harm her.

         But they did make her happy. So happy in fact, that the next time Astin visited and she found him empty-handed, she became very upset.

         “Don’t you have a present for me?” she asked, little arms crossed and eyes wide.

         “I’m afraid not, Em,” Astin replied. “I can’t keep bringing you presents.” He reached out to ruffle her hair like he always did, but this time she ducked away before he could.

         “That spoiled brat.”

        Lord Ailemer is shocked and secretly impressed by his daughter’s indignation. “Spoiled indeed,” he says.

         Dismayed at her disappointment and anger, Astin resolved to bring her gifts in secret.

         The morning after, he presented Emogen with a small pastry he had stolen from the kitchens. She was overjoyed and friendly once more, and again, Astin was charmed by her.

         Several weeks passed in the same manner until one day, Emogen asked to see the mansion for herself.

         Astin hesitated, unsure whether she would be permitted to visit.

         She looked at him with the largest, most imploring eyes however, and he had to agree. He arranged for Byron and Emogen both to visit the mansion when the Lord and Lady were out for a morning stroll.