04 ▬▬▬▬▬▬ chaotic home

Start from the beginning

"I've been in the actual Hunger Games. Think I can survive a week or two in District Twelve." he shrugs. I'm still partially at loss for words, until I hear Effie trill from behind me: "Time to say thank you and farewell!" 

It's one of those moments when I just love her compulsive punctuality. We collect Cinna and Portia, and she escorts us around to say good-bye to important people, then herds us to the door. I stand close to Cato, and attempt to picture him in the chaos of my home.

"And don't think I won't meet this Gale guy." he murmurs so quietly that only I can make out his words. His sentence sends chills running through my spine and all I am able to do stare ahead, imagining the two of them together. They were so different, they could never get along.

"That's if you don't escape after a day there." I choose to speak, raising my eyebrows at him.

"Don't underestimate me, Everdeen." he shakes his head, a certain eagerness brewing in his irises.

"I'd be stupid to underestimate you after this." I sigh, obviously referring to the decision of coming home with me.

"I don't see you complaining." the boy breathes, moving a step closer. Cato has to believe he as some sort of power over me, as he smirks to himself, certain of his effect on me.

"Maybe I am, internally." I voice slowly, and his smile droops down in an instant. The confidence bounces back from him to me with every word spoken. But deep down, I know that I'm nowhere near complaining.

"Come on, we can't look like we're fighting, can we?" he asks, bringing his palm up to my cheek, his index lightly stroking my skin.

"I'm sure you can tell how absolutely head over heels I am for you, don't worry." I smile, placing my hands onto his chest, and from there the heat of the moment rose quickly. Being so close to him triggered feelings I never knew I had. I was aware of how dangerous my love for the boy could be, and I sometimes had a difficult time acknowledging how much I wanted him. In a way, nasty comments where we both tried to win over the other were only fuelling my emotions for the boy, and I revelled in it.

"Likewise." he lets out a small sigh, and even though sarcasm drips in both our sentences, I can't help but feel pulled towards him by an inexplicable and invisible power.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

As soon as we arrive in District 12, my feet ache and my eyelids threaten to close completely. My movements are slowed down by the fatigue lingering in my body, and the dress suddenly feels too suffocating. All I could ever wish for was for my body to drown in my soft covers, for my muscles to finally relax and my mind to shut off for a few hours.

Of course, there's a new addition that would change my desire: Cato. Despite how luxurious and grand my home now is, there appears to be no guest rooms. Why would a Victor from Twelve need one, anyways? Waking up my family is an immediate no, so I lead him up to my room quietly, eager to find some solution.

There's some sort of silence that wafts in the air as our eyes simultaneously settle onto my room, and onto the double bed that took up most of the space. Neither of us speaks up for a few seconds, waiting of the other to mumble something that could resolve the problem.

"You could sleep on the couch?" I propose, plopping down onto my bed.

"Are you kidding? After standing straight for like, eight hours, I need proper sleep." he groans, shaking his head firmly.

"I've been standing in heels, Hadley. I deserve my own bed." I roll my eyes at his stubbornness, kicking my shoes off.

"Fuck me." he mumbles, running a hand through his now disheveled hair.