why HUMSS?

• • •

• • •

It was that one subject, Introduction to World Religions and Beliefs, that introduced you to me- and funnily, our differences.

It was the first week, probably the second day since school has started. I don't know anyone just yet aside from Celine and some of the few people I have worked with in that Science group project. Damn that.

We introduced ourselves, said our names, hobbies and whatnot. But no, I haven't noticed you just yet. I can't even remember where you sat that day. Have you been sitting in that row next to ours the whole time? I couldn't tell.

Sir Dennis made us answer one question; a typical one. I guess we all had expected it, or saw it coming. We weren't so excited to do the activity, I could tell, based from the groans and moans everyone had shared.

"Why did you choose HUMSS?"

Celine and Leanne were both sitting on my either side, laughing the whole time. Or was it just Celine? Maybe I was, too. Celine was giggling, probably because she already knew what to write as she had probably expected the activity. Leanne, on the other hand, stared blankly ahead, not knowing what to write. Or was it me? I was the last to submit my paper, I remembered. It took me long to answer that question as I, too, don't have an idea why I was there. Maybe it was me who couldn't answer and not Leanne.

The time had come. Sir Dennis picked out piece of papers and made the owner recite their answers in front. You were one of the chosen ones to share their answers.

Ahh, I remember it now. That day, you were already sitting behind Juliet, who sat next to Celine, who was on my left. I remember watching you stand from your seat, from the row just next to ours, left something on your table- a hankie, was it?- then went ahead and took your paper from Sir Dennis' hand.

I remembered watching you speak, facing the whole class without the slighest hint of embarassment or nervousness. You weren't shy, in fact you were oozing with confidence. But no, I don't remember a word you said. I was too focused, awed even, by how perfect your diction were.

You didn't sound like you wanted to sound smart, or that you were trying too hard. You didn't even have to be loud to be heard. Your deep, manly voice was enough to have all the attention to yourself, especially mine.

And ever since that day, I have noticed you.

You have always sat behind Jules, quiet and nonchalant. I bet you wouldn't even budge even when the whole world collapses. I could picture you with your earphones on, probably with soft music playing as we all drown ourselves with our own little loud chaos. I'm not sure, but you look like someone who loves listening to Green Day or those types of bands, that's why you don't mind our noise as you, too, were drowned by your own music. But if I were to judge your music taste by your looks- a soft church boy, I'd say you're the type of guy who listens to Conan Gray or Cigarettes After Sex. I don't know. You just don't look like someone who would losten to loud pop songs.

Probably the same reason why you wouldn't even look at my way the way I look at you. Because I'm loud and batshit crazy... and loud all the same.

Or maybe because you already had a girlfriend, or you're not just open to any relationship yet. There's a whole lot of reasons why- and me being loud and annoying is probably one of them.

I'm not sure how you think of me as I think of you.

But this I'm sure of, if I were to be asked by the end of the school year what made me enjoy HUMSS, you'd definitely be part of my answer- along with some crazy, nonsense and unnecessary remarks (I'm well aware of how much I say within a matter of seconds, and I apologize).

• • •