Goodbye, Isn't Forever (Prologue)

Two small gems were sitting together in their quarters. They stared at each other, each with differing opinions. "Please Ruby, come with me.." Sapphire pleaded to the red gem. She was going to join Rose to protect earth.

Sapphire knew Ruby was scared, but she couldn't just leave her back on homeworld. "Sapphire... do you even know what you're doing? Betraying homeworld.. it's a risky thing." Sapphire put her hand over Ruby's, them both feeling each other's warmth. "Ruby, I know it is.. but I have to do this, and I can't just leave you here. I love you too much for that.. please.. don't you want to be with me?"

Ruby looked shocked at such a question, and also a little offended. "Of course I want to be with you, Sapphire. I'd do anything for you... but, some things are difficult to do regardless.. I want to go for you, but.. at the same time, I don't because I'm scared.."

Sapphire stared for a moment before responding. When she did respond, she sounded heartbroken. "...I don't want to force you to do anything... especially something you don't want to do.. The meeting is in 7 minutes... I'll, have to leave now if I'm going to make it."

Ruby felt Sapphire take hold of her hand. Ruby looked away. "...then...I guess, this is goodbye." Before Ruby could even expect a response, she was already being hugged by Sapphire.

Ruby felt her eyes water as she hugged her back. There was a moment of silence, but Sapphire finally responded. "...I-I don't want to say goodbye.."

Ruby held her closer, keeping their warm embrace. "...niether do I..but, if you insist on going...I won't stop you.." They pull away from their embrace. "I should... probably, g-go now.." Sapphire looked down.

Her gesture was counteracted however, as Ruby gently had Sapphire look up by lifting her chin, their eyes meeting. The next thing they knew, they were engaged in a soft kiss. This was probably the last time they'd see each other for a long time, but they didn't want to think like that.

They held the kiss, taking hold of each other's hands. They both cherrished this moment they had together as it could be their last. Both their gems let off a soft glow, the gentle blue and bold red coliding to create a vibrant violet surrounding them. Some time passed, them pulling away from the kiss.

The glowing stayed, beautifully illuminating the room. Sapphire brushes her forehead against Ruby's, their hands still together. "I'm going to miss you, Sapphire.." They made solid eye contact again. "I will miss you too, Ruby.."

They spent one last moment looking into each other's sorrowful eyes.. and just like that, they let go of one another's hands, Sapphire setting off.

Niether dare say goodbye, for it would be too painful. It would feel too perminant. Although, everyone knows.. Goodbye, isn't forever.