FIVE

It's five o'clock and the housewarming party is practically set up. Nick has stocked the fridge with drinks, Tara has snacks on the table ready and Darcy has made a playlist for the night.

"What time did you tell everyone again?" Nick asks, pacing back and forth by the door.

"Will you relax?" Darcy laughs. "I said like 5:30 but not everyone is going to be on time!"

As Darcy finishes her sentence there's a knock on the door. Nick freezes. Darcy stifles a laugh as she walks past him to open the door.

"Welcome to our home!" Darcy sings as she opens the door abruptly. It's Elle and Tao; but no Charlie. Nick lets himself breathe for a second. Then he decides that it's not too early to start drinking now and beelines for the fridge. He searches for the can with the highest alcoholic percentage and instantly opens it. No more nerves.

It gets to 5:30 and Imogen and her girlfriend Liana have arrived. Shortly after, a few unfamiliar faces show up that he hasn't bothered to get to know because to be honest, the new faces are starting to look a little bit blurry once Nick had that fifth drink. Nick internally debates having a sixth but the look Tara gives him when he walks into the kitchen is enough to deter him.

"How much have you had?" Tara asks, she sounds concerned. "You're wobbling."

"No 'm not," Nick argues, his words borderline slurred. "I think five."

"You think?" Tara scoffs amusedly.

"I don't really keep count after three," Nick shrugs. Tara rolls her eyes and grabs a cup from her cabinet, she quickly fills it up with water from the sink and turns to give it to Nick.

"You need water, I will literally put Darcy on 'Nick watch' if you try to get another drink," Tara says sternly, trying so hard not to smile at the drunk Nick in front of her.

"I don't need a babysitter, Tar," Nick huffs, taking the water anyway and drinking it all in one go. He dramatically puts the cup on the kitchen surface next to Tara and tries his best to make a dramatic exit but ends up walking into a wall on the way out.

"I meant to do that!" Nick calls out as he walks out of the kitchen, Tara's laughter fading. Nick wobbles his way to the couch and sits down without paying any mind to who else is sitting there.

"Hey, you're Nick, right?"

Nick looks next to him, it's Elle. Tara and Darcy's friend who also happens to be Charlie's friend. He stares for a minute before he realises he's meant to be talking.

"Oh- Um, yes. That would be me," Nick stutters, she smiles at him.

"Had a bit?" Elle asks amusedly. Nick shrugs.

"Yeah, I guess you could say that."

"You're the teacher in Charlie's class, right?" Elle asks. Nick loses his breath for a second, suddenly realising he's still not here.

"Yes, I- Um, Paris loves him," Nick says. "He's great with her... So he's very helpful."

"I've heard a lot about her," Tara grins. "And you, of course."

"Only good things I hope," Nick jokes, his cheeks feeling hot.

"Oh, that is an understatement," Elle laughs. Before Nick can question any further, the front door opens, his eyes instantly following the sound. There Charlie is, talking to Darcy as he enters the room with a warm smile on his face. His curls fall perfectly on his face, just above his eyes, and his smile makes Nick want to melt into the couch. Nick decides he needs another drink and without another word, he is heading to the kitchen.