Prologue

I gripped my dagger with my sweaty hand. My other hand was covering May's mouth, who was trembling against my side. Gunshots ringed my ears, causing more tears to trail down May's face.

This is all my fault.

I pushed my head against the concrete wall, as I heard a scream escape someone that I knew. It was so blood curdling, I had to bite down on my bottom lip to trap the scream that I wanted so desperately to release. Instead tears came tumbling down my filthy and scabbed face. May's small hands gripped my ripped jacket, as the screaming for help continued.

I hear the scream come to a sudden halt, and it was the worst silence I've ever experienced. Not even a breath was heard. I needed a scream to at least know that she was alive.

I looked to May, and she was wrapped into a ball. I kissed her head, and tilted her head to me.

"Stay down, and stay quiet." I whispered with a shaky voice, and she scrunches her eyebrows.

"No. No Eliana." she cried, and I got up with steady feet. I squeezed May's small hand, and I released it.

I blinked away the last tears, and I trigger my defense mode. My body focused on my surroundings only. My emotions was pushed to the side, so it would no longer interfere on the task ahead. My ears twitched to the sound of water dripping through a small crack. My sight was not reliable, the further I padded through the eerie darkness. I kept my dagger up with breath steady but as quiet as the light wind.

I had my extra hand extended to feel the walls, and the turns to take.

Footsteps from behind me, sound the alarms in my head, causing me whirl around. They were heavy trudges, that couldn't belong to May. He wasn't trying to sneak up on me.

He wants me to know that he is watching me.

Goosebumps grew in the back of my neck as I felt a frosted cold breeze that could not be produced by the wind.

I hear the electricity turn on, and the lights flicker. My eyes adjust to the Styles man, who stared deeply into my eyes. My defensive adrenaline pulsed, and I slashed my knife across his jaw.

"Bad idea." His voice raspy and angry.
His eyes darkened, and I lost all confidence.

He launched his fist across my cheek, and I didn't take the time to wait the pain out. I got back up, and I touched my stinging cheek. I swung my legs into his side and jabbed my knife across his chest. He catches my wrist, and throws me against the ground. The air is knocked right out of my lungs. I take grasp of air, but I wasn't fast enough to retrieve my knife.

He throws the knife far, and I spit blood out of my dry mouth.

"You've been a lot of trouble for my searchers." He says, as he walks up to me with a dark glare.

Without pausing, Styles grabbed my neck and banged my head against the concrete. I bring my knee up, and I kick him in his slashed chest. He groans in pain, and releases me from his choking hold.

"So you've come to do your own dirty work?" I say, as I punch him across his face. He looked up, with a bloody nose, and a stupid grin plastered across his face.

"It's more like a game. I've been bored. No challenges, until I was told that a girl threatened my position as Wrenson." He wiped away the dark blood that streamed from the gash in his lip. I see the tattoo of six X's resembling the regions he has conquered. It just made me more fired up.

I swung my feet, to contact his nose. I feel his nose snap, and he groans in pain. He grabs my leg, and drags me to the ground. His large hands pushes me down, and I couldn't find a leeway. He climbed over me, and with his hands restraining above my head. He pinned me down with his legs, and dug his knee into my bullet wound. I screech in pain, and he smiled.

I stared into his grassy green eyes, that searched my blue ones. His jaw had a streak of blood, and his cut was deep enough to wear it would bleed. He furrowed his eyebrows, and studied my panicked eyes. He crept his head next to my head, and his plump lip brushed my ear. Shivers ran down my already shaken body. His breath was cold, but it caused a rush of heat to race courses through me.

"I will break you."

_____________