Chapter 12 ~ Expecto Patronum

Start from the beginning

I was crying in his chest. He only knew what I felt, he knew what was happening to me and he knew how to fix it.

He sighed and said, "I'll go talk to Professor Lupin tomorrow."

Then we both drifted off to sleep.

*******

"Now, I hope you both understand that I'm not allowed to teach this spell, but you two are an exception."

"Yes, sir," we both said at the same time.

It was an early Saturday morning, and Lupin was giving a private lesson to us. I wasn't sure what he was gonna teach us, but if it was something they didn't teach at Hogwarts, then it was something interesting to learn.

"Now, Max, I understand that your boggart is not a Dementor, am I correct?" I nodded, "Harry, I'm sure you're aware of your sister's boggart?"

"I'm pretty sure the entire school knows what my boggart is and it's never gonna change into anything different," I implied.

"Max, not everyone knows what your boggart is. And your worst fear can change overtime. Lucius Malfoy will not be your biggest fear forever. But since this spell I am going to teach you today only works on Dementors, that's what your biggest fear is gonna be today. Let's get started, then." I did not know Lupin was full of words of encouragement.

He led us over to an old chest. There were tons of chains wrapped around it and in the middle there was a big lock. Lupin looked down at the chest and then looked at us.

"A Patronus is a kind of positive force, and for the wizard who can conjure one, it works something like a shield, with the Dementor feeding on it, rather than him. In order for it to work, you need to think of a memory. Not just any memory, a very happy memory, a very powerful memory. Allow it to fill you up, lose yourself in it, then speak the incantation, Expecto Patronum. Come on, you two, say it with me."

"Expecto Patronum," we both said at the same time.

"Now, like I said before, you need a powerful memory. The happiest memory that you have. Harry, close your eyes." Harry closed his eyes. "What do you see?"

"I see...a broomstick."

Lupin shook his head. "That's not a happy memory, not even close."

"No, I see a broomstick. And I'm on it, flying. I'm flying for the first time. I feel free."

I looked at Harry, wiping a few tears from my eyes. He opened his eyes and looked at me, giving me a weak smile. I didn't care that I wasn't his most powerful memory. I was just glad that he actually had one.

"Okay, Max, your turn." I closed my eyes. "What do you see?"

I saw about a million things, but only one stood out to me. It was me and Harry, stepping off the Hogwarts Express for the first time. We both looked at the castle in awe as Hagrid was calling all first years to the boats. That was the best day ever. Because that day, we found home, our real home. It was Hogwarts. I loved everything about it when I first laid eyes on the school. From fighting to protect the Sorcerer's Stone, saving Ginny in the Chamber of Secrets, and we were now getting private lessons. I said everything I was thinking of to the others. After a few seconds, I opened my eyes and looked at Harry. He smiled a little, which made me smile back.

I stepped back while Harry was getting ready to perform the spell. I watched him point his wand at the chest, his posture said he couldn't do this, but his face said determination. Still, I had a feeling this wasn't going to end well.

Lupin waved his hand over the chest. An echo of the locks filled the room. He opened the chest and a black, hooded figure came out. Its unseen eyes were giving me chills down my spine. Harry was losing focus. I could feel it. My twin sense was telling me that something was about to happen.