𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐢𝐱

Start from the beginning

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Dinner is a pretty subdued affair. Cinna, Portia, Lino, and Amille, Reed's stylist, all join us for dinner. Before we eat, Finnick pulls Cinna and Portia aside to talk to them. I see them nod, looking sort of sad in a way, and then we sit down to eat.

Andi makes another attempt at conversation. "Well, Reed, what's your approach for the interviews?"

Well, I hope he doesn't ask me, because I don't want to talk about my approach.

"Ferocity," Reed answers simply.

"Like Callyn!" Andi says, turning to me.

"Oh, hey, Andi, I heard they're looking at giving you a promotion," Linden says.

I will forever be in his debt.

Linden completely set Andi off, because now he's ranting about how upset they'll be if they make him leave District Four, because Andi genuinely does love Four. After dinner, we go down to the television to see what they're saying about the Games.

Once Finnick turns the TV on, a reporter appears onscreen with the caption 'The Legacy Games'. The reporter looks stupid. She has yellow hair and yellow skin. Not even stupid-that would be a compliment at this point. Freakish.

"This year's Hunger Games will feature two legacy tributes! From District Two, Bellamy Lyme, and even more exciting, from District Four, Callyn Odair!" Two pictures show up behind the reporter. Bellamy and I's tribute headshot. "Callyn Odair, the younger sister of victor Finnick Odair, has wowed us all with the top training score of twelve despite being this year's youngest victor at the age of fourteen-like her brother. So far, she has more than measured up to her brother, who is now her mentor." A picture of Finnick and I together, getting off the train. "She is a favorite, and is sure to be a fierce contender in this year's Games."

"Bellamy Lyme, the sixteen-year-old son of victor Myra Lyme, recieved an eleven, the second-highest training score. He is six-ten, by far the tallest tribute this year. Sources also report that he and Callyn have already formed a friendship. Perhaps they bonded over being legacies."

A picture of us smiling at each other in the Training Center comes onscreen.

"Okay, well, there you go, Callyn," Finnick comments. To Reed, he says, "Don't worry, the next thing they show will probably include you."

Another reporter comes on. This one is a man with dyed white hair and unnatural, electric green eyes. A caption comes up reading 'This Year's Standouts'. "This year's Hunger Games is sure to be interesting with two legacy tributes, but which other tributes are sticking out this year?"

The first picture to show up is of Velvet and Silk. "This year's tributes from District One pulled scores of eight and nine. Now, those are some pretty good scores." Next comes a picture of Kaia and Bellamy. "These two from Two pulled scores of ten and eleven. Definitely a lethal pair." Next, a picture of Reed and I. "This pair from District Four has the highest combined District score of twenty-two! Definitely two tributes to look out for."

"Well, there you have it." Linden says as a picture of the boy from Six comes onscreen. "They thing you're someone to look out for.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The next day, my prep team are the ones to wake me up.

They let me sleep in a little while, but I'm pretty sure it's more for their sake than mine.

They work on my skin first, making it sort of...glow. It's really hard to describe, but my skin has turned to a shining, gold color. The whole time they tell me they don't have as much to do because I'm so much better looking than the rest of the tributes they've worked on.

Surprisingly enough, when they're done with my make-up, I look pretty normal. Like myself, but just...highlighted and older. Like last time, the only really noticeable addition is the eyeliner, this time a shade of dark gold, a bronze color, really, that matches my hair so exactly that it's shocking.

Next, they work on my nails, painting them a shade of off-white that they dust over with a gold powder.

My hair is pretty long. It goes all the way down to my waist. Anyway, this annoys the prep team because when they curl my hair into waves, they have to do it in two sections because my hair is too long to fit loosely around the curling iron. Then they take two front sections of my hair and braid it around my hair in a sort of halo.

And then they're done.

They call Cinna, Portia, and Lino in. They're holding a dress and a pair of shoes.

Portia helps me into the dress. It's long, golden, and fits tight to my curves and has a deep v-neck. The material sort of shimmers when I move, and it's hard to look away from. My shoes are a pair of black heels, with a very short heel compared to the ones I practiced in.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

We're all lined up to go onstage when Finnick comes up next to me.

He starts talking quickly. "Okay, when you go get out there, just twirl your hair or whatever. But also, while you do it, still be honest. Don't necessarily brag about your abilities, but don't hold back."

"Okay," I agree, not really hearing what he's saying. I'm still thinking about the how I'm about to be in front of all Panem and I'm just getting more anxious and nervous.

Finnick puts a hand on each of my shoulders and looks me in my eyes. "You've got this. It's easy, I promise. If you're really struggling, look at me, okay?"

"Yeah, okay," I say, still trying to clear my head.

Then, because he's required by law to be an obnoxious big brother, he flicks me on the side of the head. I punch him in the stomach. He doesn't get a chance to retaliate, because we're directed to start going onstage.

I blow him a kiss, and he draws a line across his throat.

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

hey loves!

lmk whatcha think >>>>

xx

maddie