"No."

"You're no fun." he shook his head, feigning disappointment, to which you calmly lifted a shoulder.

"I never claimed to be."

Minho laughed.

It was a soft, breathy sound that tickled your ears and danced in the breeze. A glimpse of joy that had you entranced, and you did not realize that it was over until he teased, "Touché."

• • •

"My lady." one of your handmaidens hurried to you after you reentered the villa, eyes filling with remorse as she spoke, "It appears that one of the carriages faced some trouble on the road and will not be arriving tonight."

"Is that so?" your brows furrowed in confusion and you assured her, "There's no need for you to be worried about that."

She shook her head frantically. "No, my lady. That carriage was transporting the trunk that has all of your sleeping furs."

"Oh."

That was indeed cause for worry.

"Don't fret. You can have mine," Minho offered, having overheard the news when he walked in.

"No. I can manage." you shook your head and turned to your handmaiden, to reassure her. "Do not concern yourself with this, please. Tend to your tasks as normal."

"If you say so, my lady," she gave in, and with a practiced bow, scurried off, leaving you to contemplate your predicament.

Judging by the coolness of the day, you would only expect the night to be much colder. Without heavy robes and thick furs, you could all but freeze. You hoped that snuggling into the blankets would suffice for the night.

When the sky darkened and stars began to mottle its depthless blue, you were met with the harsh truth.

The shiver that rattled your body was so violent, it seemed to ignore the dense blankets weighing down on you and the crackling fireplace. The frigidness of the air made it impossible to relax enough to sleep, and your eyes remained wide open, hands cupped over your mouth in an attempt to warm them up.

You felt a weight shift on the other side of the bed followed by Minho's hushed voice as he sat up. "You're shivering so much. Come closer."

When you said nothing, he sighed, and shortly after, something heavy dropped over you. You shot up, flinging the mass of dark fur and wool off as you exclaimed at him, "You'll freeze!"

"Likewise, do you think you're invulnerable to the cold?"

His hair was slightly tousled from lying down, and a sliver of moonlight slid down his cheekbones in the dark. Even like this, he managed to remind you of that day two weeks ago.

You shied away from his attention, clutching the woven garment spread between the two of you. You were not so foolish as to lie to yourself. It was cold and curling up in the warmth of those sleeping furs sounded like the best thing imaginable.

But you would not allow Minho to suffer for your sake. What if he were to get sick? Many were relying on him to do his job as the heir, you could not have him catch a cold or develop a fever.

His utterance prodded at the silence that befell you, gentle, not at all demanding. "For the life of me, I never seem to fathom your mind."

You were not able to leash your surprise at his confession. Sudden as it came, it carried with it a semblance of dejection, and you found yourself speechless in its wake.

"So, until you decide to indulge me yourself, I surrender," he exhaled. "But please, accept my help this once—if for nothing other than my own self-righteousness. I would like to sleep with my conscience untroubled."

You realized his attempts immediately. He was giving you a reason to act selfishly. A reason that made him seem like a benefitting party. You were not so stuck in your own reservations to allow it.

"We could...share."

Your suggestion was so softly spoken that even you thought you had imagined saying it. It was the only solution you could think of, as much as it inexplicably embarrassed you.

Minho's brows arched, taken aback, and he hesitated before clearing his throat. "You don't mind?"

"I don't."

"Truly?"

"Truly."

A lie. Your heart seemed to mind a lot, but you ignored it as he drew you close, draping the sleeping furs and covers over your bodies. Despite the cold and the hammering in your chest, your slumber was peaceful that night, warmly nestled in your husband's arms. Tucked away from the frigid horrors of your world.

 Tucked away from the frigid horrors of your world