"Of course, my lady. You need not worry." his smile was polite yet sincere, and already you had begun to feel guilt creeping up your heart.

"Thank you," you said, turning away and shutting out that feeling. A few paces away, your knight stood, casually leaning against the doorframe of your study. You nodded to him, ready to leave the palace. Your own plans aside, you still had the responsibility of seeing the new register come to life.

"Let us depart."

• • •

"Oh. Good afternoon, my lady," Chaeryeong smiled when you stepped into her little school. She had become more adept at curtseying, you noticed as she dipped somewhat gracefully.

There was a class in session. Children sat in small groups on the floor, wooden boards and charcoal pieces in hand as they gawked at their visitor. Their curious fear was not something you could change in a day, for they were taught to be wary of nobles from a very young age.

"Please, proceed with your lesson. Do not let me disrupt you," you returned her smile, drifting to a secluded corner to observe them quietly.

It had taken long discussions to convince Chaeryeong to test the new register you were working on. She was reasonably hesitant. What you were proposing was a magnificent change that demanded long-term commitment. The scheme would not bear fruit in mere days. It would take months, years, even.

But, to your relief and utmost gratitude, she eventually accepted.

You planned to observe the school today, noting how Chaeryeong taught and the conditions these children learned in. The building you were in was shabby. Poor ventilation had made it a stuffy place. There were a few chairs and some small tables, but they were both not enough and in a terrible state. The makeshift chalkboard at the front of the room was faded, clearly worn by use.

There were many renovations to be done if you wanted to transform this school into the ideal learning environment this community deserved.

You also noticed that there were more students than you remembered—nearly forty kids of different ages crammed in the humble space. Chaeryeong handled them well, but you knew that if they kept increasing like this, she would soon find herself overwhelmed.

You also had to arrange a crew to assist her, you determined.

When the lesson ended and the kids dispersed, you made your way to Chaeryeong, who was dusting her powdered hands on her skirts.

"That was an excellent lesson," you complimented and she grinned sheepishly, a slight blush coloring her cheeks. "You flatter me, my lady."

"Not at all," you shook your head, glancing around before changing the topic, "From what I have observed today, it is increasingly apparent to me that this building does not suffice in its current state."

"Yes, well...we are lacking many resources."

"Indeed." your brows furrowed as you revealed to her your plan, "As such, I intend to renovate this building."

"What?" she blurted, eyes widening when she realized her discourteous tone. You smiled, speaking before she could sputter out an apology. "Yes, I plan to renovate this building and make it a more suitable space for you and your students.

"But, until that project is done," you fished a folded piece of paper out of the pouch tied at your wrist, "you will have to relocate."

Chaeryeong received the paper and unfolded it to reveal a map. It marked the temporary place you had arranged for them to stay, an idle storehouse some blocks away. It was not the ideal dwelling, but it was well-maintained and suitable to be repurposed as a school.