clipboard guy

"OK Elle, I will leave you in the safe hands of Linda," clipboard guy started, pointing toward a plump lady who slouched over in the corner, "she is here to help so if you need anything, ask her

"OK Elle, I will leave you in the safe hands of Linda," clipboard guy started, pointing toward a plump lady who slouched over in the corner, "she is here to help so if you need anything, ask her." I couldn't tell if the doctor was trying to convince me, or himself- Linda looked anything but helpful. 

I sent him an unsure nod and with that he left. I like that doctor, he seems nice. I don't know his name- I wasn't listening when he first introduced himself, and I haven't cared to ask since.

My eyes scanned the room, searching for a quiet corner I that could hide away in. Upon my search, I quickly came to the realisation that the area to the right was devoted to board games, whilst the left was solely arts and crafts. How exciting.

I usually enjoy art. I find it fascinating that by sketching a few lines on some paper, we can create a masterpiece. My love for it dulled down in recent years though- my arms became my paper, and blades became my pencils. Still, I like to see other's work. It's like taking a deep dive into their mind. I believe that art is expression, it speaks words that sometimes, our lips cannot.

"Blondie," I heard a hoarse voice yell from across the room, "you're in the way!" She added, causing me to flinch. It didn't take long for me to realise the voice was Linda's and she was looking my way with an agitated glare.

She is definitely talking to me.

Pulling myself together, I scurried left, mentally reminding myself to never get on the wrong side of her.

Every day that I am here I ask myself the same question... why me? I just don't understand. I'm not insane, I'm just a normal girl. Then again, maybe I am insane. Maybe I'm just living in denial.

"Watch where you're going," I heard before I even felt the collision.

Oops.

The girl crouched down, gathering her belongings that I'd knocked out of her grip. I didn't bother helping her. She should've been looking where she was going too.

"Stupid," she uttered before shoving past me, making sure to hit my arm with her shoulder.

I exhaled a breath in an attempt to calm myself down. Small things like that make me incredibly angry, and had that happened anywhere else I would've lost my shit. I'm not anywhere else though. I'm here, and here I cant lose my shit. Here, I have to keep my emotions at bay.

"First day?" A voice spoke from next to me, startling me slightly. I'd been so wrapped up in my irritation that I hadn't even realised I'd plonked down next to someone.