"We were out, and Milly got accosted by some lads," he grumbled. "But that's not what triggered me. And I only used my left hand."

Jackie gawked at him, utterly confused by two out three of his statements - and then she impulsively repeated, "You were out with Milly." And she immediately realised what she'd just said. "Which is fine, of course. You can go out with anyone you want! I didn't mean to intrude! And I didn't mean anything by it!"

"This is new for me," he said darkly. "I don't know what to do when there are two women. Do you want to know about Milly?"

So, there were two women after all. It was to be expected. Milly's attitude towards Alexander, and consequently towards Jackie, had been clear since the first day when Jackie had tripped in the ice cream parlour.

"You don't owe me an explanation," Jackie said in a tense, unnaturally high voice.

"You're the one who said 'no' to dating," Alexander reminded her. The tender caresses of his palm on her lower back were in stark contrast with his indifferent tone. "I don't understand the boundaries here. Let me know how much information you need."

"I don't need any information," she muttered stubbornly. "Anyroad, you should get some sleep."

He furrowed his eyebrows in obvious unease. She knew she was being unfair - and cruel - using his social limitations to avoid an open conversation and fuelling her unfounded irritation.

"It wasn't a date with Milly," he said.

"Alexander," she tried to stop him.

"I was out with several of my employees. It was a work party."

"Honestly, you don't have to–"

"Milly got bladdered," he continued, interrupting her. "They all did. I don't drink, so I was a–"

"Please stop!" She rolled away from him on the bed and rose onto her knees. "I'm sorry! I had no right, and I still pried and pushed your buttons." She covered her face with her hands. "Ugh, I hate myself right now!"

"I'm not sleeping with anyone but you."

"Oh god, you're making it worse!"

She dropped her hands. He awkwardly sat up as well, his palm over his ribs on the left side, and leaned against the headboard.

"It's easier for me if you just tell me what we're doing," he said, peering into her face. "Why push my buttons if you can just ask?"

"Because I'm a terrible person," Jackie groaned. "I'm... a dog in the manger!"

"A what?"

Jackie exhaled purposefully and met his eyes. "Alexander, I got jealous of Milly. And again, I had no right to! I saw the two of you after the game in Abernathy. And I suspect that she properly fancies you."

"She does," he deadpanned. "She was pissed, and she came at me tonight."

Jackie hugged herself around her middle defensively. "Well, you have this effect on women. I've done the same, haven't I?" she jeered. "I'm sorry you had to go through this again."

"I didn't hate it with you," he answered calmly. "But she triggered me. She was angry. Reminded me of my mother when she'd get bladdered."

Jackie's breathing caught. "But– I knew your mother drank, but I didn't know that she also–" She grasped the collar of her top.

"She didn't beat or molest me," he said and turned away, his blank gaze on the window. "She would get angry and cry. She used to lock me in the cellar or in the car, because she didn't want to see me. But only when Adam was away."