"Trick or treat!" The triplets yelled in unison.

This snapped Dex back to reality and his mouth parted slightly. The blond boy tossed candy into each of the triplets' pillowcases.

"Thanks," Dex said for them as they sped away.

The boy gave a seemingly forced smirk and a wave before closing the door. Dex's eyebrows furrowed, but he quickly followed his siblings to the next house. What a strange interaction, and yet a completely normal one.

The thing that confused Dex was that the blond boy wouldn't leave his mind even after that door closed. No matter how hard he tried to think of anything else, that boy always took over the other thoughts. It didn't make sense to him, as he'd literally only seen him for a few seconds, and yet Dex couldn't shake the thought of him.

It wasn't until several minutes later that he realized something.

"Rex? Bex? Lex?" He called out.

The triplets were missing.

He started to panic as he looked around frantically. The three ghosts were nowhere in sight.

"Bex!" He called desperately.

He ran down the sidewalk, the sharp cold air seeming to slash his face as he did so. His strawberry blond hair blew behind him as a few tears escaped his eyes, perhaps from the cold.

He hoped that nothing bad had happened to his siblings. They could have been hurt, or worse. After more searching and calling for them, there was still no sign. He stopped and breathed heavily from running, and perhaps from his current state of panic. His mind was listing off every terrible scenario and he didn't like it.

"Lex!" He called again, the hot tears stinging his eyes through the icy cold air of the autumn night.

He groaned in frustration and curled up on the ground, burying his face behind his knees. Halloween was not supposed to go like this. The wet grass soaked his jeans, but he had worse problems at the moment. This night was going all wrong. His immature siblings had all run off, he couldn't get this boy off his mind, and it was becoming later and colder by the second.

He looked up and called out, "Rex!"

He sighed and rested his forehead on his knees once again. He wondered if they'd escaped, or if they'd been taken by someone. He shook those thoughts and stood up. He pulled his sweater over his head and wrapped the sleeves around his waist to cover his grass-soaked jeans, revealing a graphic t-shirt underneath. He shivered and started walking again.

How could he let this happen? His siblings were lost, his parents were going to kill him, maybe he needed a plan to run away. No, that was too far. At that moment, what he needed to do was find the triplets. When he found them, he knew he would give them a piece of his mind.

That was when he heard laughter from behind some bushes next to a house. He rushed over and peered behind it to see three laughing ghosts, his irresponsible siblings. Anger wasn't enough to describe what he was feeling.

"I am so sick of you guys thinking it's okay to pull tricks like this! It isn't, and now trick-or-treating is over. Get up." He scowled.

The ghosts glanced at each other worriedly before looking back at their brother.

"Come on, get up," He repeated.

"Please let us stay, we promise it won't happen again!" Bex said.

"Ever?" Dex raised an eyebrow.

The triplets nodded quickly and Dex sighed.

"Fine, but not for much longer."

They squealed in excitement and relief and continued visiting the different houses. Dex followed them sluggishly, yawning every minute or so.

Eventually, they finished, and Dex brought his siblings home. Once they'd gotten back, Dex quickly ran to his room and locked the door, sighing. He sat down on his bed and looked around, exhausted.

He knew that he couldn't sleep in the soaked jeans, so he changed out of them and into some basketball shorts that he wouldn't dare use for anything but sleeping. He didn't bother changing out of his shirt.

He walked out of his room, and it felt surprisingly quiet. He assumed that his siblings were munching away on their candy, which he could care less about. They were his siblings' stomachaches, not his.

He headed to the bathroom where he brushed his teeth and looked in the mirror. He had bags under his eyes and a frown over his face. He sighed again and headed back to his room before flopping down on his bed.

"I hate everything," He said before falling asleep immediately.

~. * ✾ * .~. * ✾ * .~. * ✾ * .~. * ✾ * .~. * ✾ * .~

CINNAMON FLOWERS

WRITTEN BY JULEMITY

INSTAGRAM: @rosyblight

PINTEREST: @childofthespore

PICSART: @deathofjules

A/N
The first chapter!! I was originally gonna write the whole story and publish it one chapter at a time, but the season goes as soon as it comes. This will typically be updated once a week xx