The Part where a Brother is punished and Brotherhood re established - Yudhistira

Start from the beginning

His anuj was moving restlessly every now and then; the coughing had decreased significantly but it was not for the better. Arjun's body was unable to garner enough strength for even something so basic. His body burned hot in places and was icy cold in others. The wound grew more infected by the moment and the skin around looked more and more dead. Every breath the archer was drawing in, sounded painful and there was an odd rattling sound.

Even as Yudhistira concentrated his energy to aide Arjun, he kept murmuring, "Wake up, Phalgun. You have to fight back, dear child. You are not fighting back. Why are you not fighting back?"

The Samrat knew that the words made little sense, but it was something that he needed to do to help himself, to keep his anxiety in check.

His Dharma!

For the second time in his life, Yudhistira lamented about his sense of Dharma.

He should have heeded his brothers, he should not have come to Hastinapur without putting everything into consideration. Arjun lies so close to death and the only person Yudhistira could place blame on, was himself.

"As much as I wish that you would rethink some decisions before you make them, Jyestha, that would very much be in the future. There was nothing that you could have done this instance. Destiny works in mysterious ways."

The words spoken by Krishna were so soft, that for an incredulous moment, Yudhistira thought it was in his mind.

But by the time he turned to look at Vasudev, the lord of Dwaraka was back to staring out at the night sky and occasionally trying out new notes on his flute.

Nakul and Sahadeva had been pouring over some ancient texts and were combining medicines with leaves, roots and weeds, the likes of which Yudhistira had not seen.

Some gleamed faintly in the relative darkness of the room and others emitted wonderful scents or noxious fumes. But most of the medicines were discarded haphazardly.

But what bothered Yudhistira was the argument, which he could overhear taking place in hushed tones, between his youngest brothers; he concentrated a little more.

"...Keep your voice down..." Snapped Nakul, sounding nothing like his usual light-hearted self. "What is your problem, Sahadeva?"

"You again messed up the mixture. You used up all of the specimen we had! Even now, we are not sure about the exact composition of the toxin which has afflicted Bhrata Arjun. And I am afraid," There was some hesitation, "I am afraid that we are woefully short of time."

"What do you mean?" Nakul had caught hold of Sahadeva's shoulders and Yudhistira felt the breathe catching hold in his throat.

"I do not know!" Sahadeva looked more frustrated by the minute. "All I get are glimpses, but none of them fill me with any hope! It has been 2 days and all we are doing is trying to keep Bhrata stable. But what we are actually doing is simply numbing his senses so that Bhrata Arjun's external pain is controlled. But is it sufficient? Even as we speak, his heart is fighting for each beat, his body is in so much pain. And I do not dare to even speculate about his mind!"

The words was uttered so softly that Yudhistira caught them only on account of his keen hearing; he furtively sneaked a look at Krishna but it did not seem that Vasudev had overheard; It seemed but Yudhistira was never sure with Krishna.

There was a few quiet, too quiet, moments and then Nakul's dulcet tones crept in, "What did you mean, Sahadeva? About me messing up again?"