Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

Sitting here at the party, looking at Sage faking happiness for my father, makes me want to puke. I feel sick to my stomach being here. I don't think I can be in this ballroom anymore, I think I need to run away.

   With Sage's actions and realizing that no one sees what I see in her, I don't think I can stay in the castle any longer.

   I'm not stupid and I know I'm weak. With the only person protecting myself being me, I have to get out of here.

   Right now, I'm alone, on my own, and that's all I know. My best bet is to run away, far far away.

   I immediately stand up and walk downstairs to the maid's quarters. All of them are on the dance floor so I know this part of the castle is empty.

   Once I reach the room that I think is Penelope's, I open the door and search it. She's got a few shirts and a pair of pants all messily piled on her bed. I grab the closest two items of clothing and put them on after I change out of my ball gown. If I'm going to run away, I can't be recognized. Everyone who lives in the White Kingdom knows their princess, I need to avoid getting caught at all costs.

   In Penelope's room, there's also a satchel that has a water bottle, a package of crackers, a pocket knife, and a few gold coins. I see a small piece of paper attached to the satchel and it's labeled: "emergency."

   I don't know why my best friend has an emergency bag, but if she's truly my best friend, she'll know that I'm in an emergency and I need to use it.

   The second I put the satchel over my shoulder and have a plain black shirt and a pair of old faded blue jeans on, I find the exit of the maid's quarters and leave the castle.

♡♡♡♡

The Enchanted Forest at night is terrifying, but not as terrifying as Sage, so I just have to face it so I can get away from her.

   As I look at the tall trees creepily swaying in the wind, I can't help but feel scared. The wolves howling in the distance doesn't make me less at ease either.

   I've got nowhere to go and I just feel so alone out in the forest, but I need to figure something out.

   I just keep walking the muddy path and try to look for a cottage or even a cave where I can spend the night.

   "Hey, who's there?" a voice says near my left.

   I quickly turn around and all I see is a bush.

   No one pops out.

   "Um, hello?" I ask, still looking all around me trying to figure out where the voice came from.

   "Down here," the voice says.

   I look down and right next to the bush is a pair of eyes that meet my knees. This has to be a small animal. I can't see too well in the dark but with eyes that low, I've got to be right.

   "What's a pretty girl like you doing out here alone in the woods at night?" the animal questions.

   Since this small animal probably isn't working for Sage, I'll tell it the truth. "Just running away from home, you know of any places I could stay for the night? Maybe your cave or your bush, wherever you live?" I plea.

   Right now this animal is looking like my only option.

   "You think I'm some kind of animal?" the creature questions then steps into the light, making me realize that this creature isn't an animal, in fact, this creature has more of a bite than one.