𝔇𝔑𝔇

★★★

ℑ took my seat at the dining room table across from Hunter. I noticed he was attempting to make other friends. I didn't exactly want to be here, that was for sure. But he invited me, and I wasn't one to say no.

"And the Slippers of Spider Climbing go to Malmsteen of Gargoroth."

I have absolutely no idea what this dude's name was. I didn't even know why Hunter would want any more friends. No one else was really into the stuff we were. And for the record, everyone else was just kind of a jerk.

Hunter's dad poured more vodka into his glass. The ice clinked on the inside of the cup.

"What kind of a girlie name is Malmsteen of Gargoroth?" He asked, chuckling. I glanced at him.

"I don't know, Dad, why don't you ask one of your real housewives," Hunter began, grabbing one of the dice off the table, "while you're shoving water balloons in their tits?"

Kevin gave Hunter a look. I half smiled at him, semi-wondering if he was beginning to feel as annoyed as I was. He leaned over; "Plastic surgeon."

I sat back and watched the group. Kevin looked as spaced out as I felt. One of the kids slammed their hand on the table. A dice fell to the floor. Unsurprisingly, nobody scrambled to get it. I leaned down, picked it up between two fingers, and tossed it to one of the guys.

I nudged Kevin's foot under the table. He looked at me. I raised my eyebrows, mouthing. "Are you okay?" He shrugged. I looked back towards the group of people around the table. A dice rolled in my direction.

I snapped out of it when Hunter began to speak. I didn't know what was going on. Nor did I care. I didn't know a single thing about this game.

"But he thinks he'll show mercy."

I moved my gaze to Hunter. He'd been extra nice to me lately, and we'd been hanging out quite a lot since that party. And even though it was super awkward right now, I thought his attempt at friendship was more admirable than overwhelming. 

"Until he remembers that mercy is for the weak."

Kevin and I stared in confusion as Hunter began to throw out a slew of words. Plus this and plus that. I didn't understand a word he was saying. The guy he was talking to looked almost afraid. I swallowed, tilting myself in Kevin's direction to ask him a question.

"Is he always like this with people he doesn't know?"

Kevin nodded and pursed his lips. I nodded slowly. It made perfect sense. He didn't really talk to other people that much. I guess socializing outside of his very little circle of friends wasn't exactly his strong suit. I watched Hunter nervously. Kevin leaned over and harshly whispered his name. Hunter told him to shut it.

"Hunter, don't be an idiot."

He dropped the die onto the table, smiling maliciously. I frowned. 

"He runs the blade between the thief's ribs," he begins, scanning our faces, "Second attack." 

The kid he was attacking shifted anxiously as Hunter dropped the die once more. His dad poured more vodka into his glass.

"Uh oh, there goes the leg."

I frowned. I was merely getting secondhand embarrassment. It was hard to believe that I was sitting across from Hunter. I tried to say his name, tried to stop him from humiliating himself in front of potential friends, but to no avail. I exhaled in defeat,

"Oh, shit. Head over to Dr. Sylvester's for some post-op implants, because I just chopped off your dick!"

He threw the die down one final time and stood up. Both fists hit the table. I jumped. Kevin looked at me. Hunter's dad took a sip of his drink, sighing heavily. I glanced at him. He looked pretty fed up. I kept my eyes on him as he took a hefty step in our direction. Everyone shook their heads.

"Sure... sure. You just remember that those implants are what paid for your guitar, your incel action figures, and all you dumb ass Satan worship t-shirts!" His voice rose toward the end. Hunter flinched. I looked at him, wrinkling my eyebrows. Kevin looked down into his lap, a scowl present on his face. Hunter's dad continued.

"I'm gonna go play tennis!"

I almost laughed. That was certainly the stress reliever, Dr. Sylvester. A blank look fell over Hunter's face and his gaze fell to the table. I clicked my tongue.

"And have you seen my American Express?"

He shook his head, taking a swig of Mountain Dew. The kid he was sitting next to stood up and swung his backpack over his shoulder. The other kids followed suit. Hunter's voice cracked when he spoke, looking up at the brunette.

"Where are you going?"

"Leaving. This sucks compared to Call of Duty. Kevin, see you in class."

The three of us sat and watched as the other kids filed out the front door and into the red sedan parked on the street. I fidgeted with the hem of my shirt. Hunter quietly set his soda on the table and began to pack up the game. Kevin huffed out something. Neither of us bothered to ask him what he had said.

★★★

I sat down on the porch steps, watching as Kevin pulled out of the driveway and left. I had driven myself here today. I had a feeling that the campaign wouldn't go well and didn't want to bother my parents with picking me up so soon. But, it turns out, that I would be staying longer, and it wouldn't have mattered anyway.

"I still have your guitar."

I knew he still had it. Before the campaign, it'd been a few days since we really talked. I glimpsed at Hunter. He looked a bit sad. It was probably because of how the afternoon went. I imagine it didn't go at all as planned.

"Yeah. I know."

He spun around and reached for the doorknob. His dad was still around back, playing his tennis. I still thought the idea was funny.

Back in the basement. The more I came down here, the more comfortable it became. At first, I was kind of nervous, sitting around in this guy's basement and playing guitar with him. It was all kind of sudden. I mean, sure, I'd known him since sixth grade, and we had always sort of been friends, but now we started to get closer.

He picked up the case and handed it to me. We stood in silence for what felt like three or so minutes. I opened my mouth but didn't know what to say.

"Are you gonna go home, or..." he said. He trailed off to the end. I lowered my eyes. I wanted to stay, yeah, but I felt as though the best option would be to go home. I stepped back, but Hunter made a small noise. A high-pitched noise; a squeak.

"Are you alright?" I asked him, dropping the case by my feet. I strode closer to him, looking up at his face. It was covered by his hair. I reached up to move the long strands out of the way, but he stopped me. His hand gripped my arm.

"I humiliated myself."

I averted my eyes. I hated to admit it, but he was... right. I would be embarrassed, too. But, of course, I didn't say that. It only would have made things worse. I secretly wondered how he had gotten so comfortable around me. So vulnerable.

"Hunter. It's okay. It was just a stupid game of DND," I told him. His hand fell back down to his side. I exhaled, flaring my nostrils. "I... should get going."

He looked at me. His blue eyes were drooped. I wiped a tear from his face. He watched me go. I felt a pang of guilt as I stepped outside the house and into my car. My guitar was securely in the back this time. I rested my head on the steering wheel before heading back home.

★★★