Chapter 9

Early the next morning, they went to the bank and withdraw all their families’ savings with the bank book and kept in a bag. A total of 143,600 RMB. Feng’s family had a total of 112,800 RMB savings.

The two then drove to the International hotel. This timing is the time where the guests’ traffic is at the peak.

When they reach, they saw three foreigners standing by the roadside waving for taxi. Bing city is the first city in China to have taxi. The development of the taxi industry here is the fastest and the best in China.

“Excuse me, are you waiting for a taxi?” Feng Yu approached them and asked in English.

A blond foreigner looks at Feng Yu curiously and looks at the jeep parked at a distant. He nodded and asked Feng Yu: “How much do you charge from here to the riverside?”

They had been conned by these types of private hire taxi before. Regular cab will charge them 5 RMB, but these private hire taxi will cost them 50 RMB for the same distance!

“10 dollars, but we only take RMB.” Feng Yu replied.

“Why? I pay you in US dollars. 5 US dollars. You can exchange it for more than 10 RMB.” The foreigner replied, feeling puzzled. He had used USD here before, and most shops are more than happy to accept USD. The only exceptions are those small roadside shops. Why did this young man refuse to accept USD?

“No, we just want RMB. You don’t you have RMB?  I can help you exchange your USD for RMB at a higher rate compared to the market.” Feng Yu smiled slyly.

During this time, it is not easy or foreigners to exchange foreign currencies for RMB. Furthermore, Americans always think that USD is a global currency and can be accepted everywhere.

The blond foreigner sneered. This young man’s real intention is to exchange foreign currencies and have no intention of renting the car out.

“How much RMB can you offer for 1 USD?” The blond foreigner asked.

Feng Yu replied: “3.8 RMB. It is higher than the market rate. The exchange rate is now about 3.7 RMB.”

Blond foreigner: “No, 4 RMB!”

“Then this deal is off. There are many other guests at this hotel that needs to exchange currencies. I will not hold you back then. Goodbye.” Feng Yu said.

“Wait a minute, how much can you change for us?” The blonde noticed that this kid is not easy to deal with, and is most probably a veteran.

“How many USD do you have?” Feng Yu asked.

The three foreigners discussed for a minute and replied: “USD 5,000!”

“No problem, please follow me to the jeep.”

The deal went well, and both sides were happy. The Americans felt that they had gotten a good deal. Using RMB in China is more worthwhile and can avoid being cheated. Also, the exchange rate Feng Yu offered is higher than the market. Feng Yu is also happy. Many people want to exchange RMB for USD.

Feng Yu asked Li Shiqiang: “You able to find people to exchange RMB for USD?”

“Of course! And I guarantee the rate will be more than 4 RMB!” Li Shiqiang replied. When he was exchanging the rubles, someone had approached him, asking for USD.

Feng Yu continued loiter around the entrance of the International Hotel.

Feng Yu will approach anyone who wears a suit or looks like a rich man. He will ask them if they need any RMB or foreign currencies.