Companions for the Prince

Rhaegar Targaryen found himself within the sunlit courtyard of the Red Keep, his practice sword clutched firmly in his grasp. He sparred with Ser Steffon Darklyn, the master-at-arms of the Red Keep, their blades clashing and ringing in the morning air. Sweat dripped from his brow, mingling with the dirt that had accumulated on his skin.

As the practice session came to an end, Rhaegar's thoughts were consumed by the news he had received the previous evening. A raven had brought word that his uncle, Daemon Targaryen, had unexpectedly departed King's Landing, returning to the Vale where his lady wife, Rhea Royce, resided. The suddenness of the decision had left Rhaegar perplexed and anxious.

After concluding his training, Rhaegar retreated to his chambers to clean up and change into more comfortable attire. The disquiet within him persisted, compelling him to seek counsel from his grandfather, King Jaehaerys.

Within the royal chambers, he found King Jaehaerys seated at a grand wooden table. The table's surface was strewn with scrolls and maps, evidence of the king's unending duties. Jaehaerys looked up as Rhaegar entered, offering a weary smile that bore the weight of his responsibilities.

"Grandfather," Rhaegar greeted respectfully, bowing before him. "I hope I am not interrupting your work."

Jaehaerys waved away his concerns with a gentle gesture. "Never, Rhaegar. Family always takes precedence. What brings you here today?"

Rhaegar hesitated for a moment, carefully selecting his words. "I received word about Daemon's departure for the Vale, Grandfather. It was... unexpected."

The king's expression turned solemn. "Indeed, it was," he acknowledged, his voice heavy with their recent conversation.

Rhaegar settled into a chair across from Jaehaerys, wrestling with the unease that lingered within him. "May I inquire about the reason for his departure and the suddenness of it all?"

Jaehaerys reclined in his chair, his gaze locked onto Rhaegar. "Sit, Rhaegar, and I shall explain," he said, gesturing to a nearby chair. Once Rhaegar had taken his seat, Jaehaerys continued. "Last night, I summoned your uncle Daemon and your father Viserys to discuss a grave matter." He paused, his eyes searching Rhaegar's for understanding.

Rhaegar nodded, a furrow forming on his brow as he awaited his grandfather's explanation.

Jaehaerys leaned forward, his tone grave. "I revealed to them the existence of the Song of Ice and Fire, and my intention to replace Otto Hightower with Daemon as Hand in the future."

Rhaegar's eyes widened in surprise. This revelation was more significant than he had anticipated. "You told them about the Song of Ice and Fire?"

Jaehaerys nodded solemnly. "Yes, Rhaegar. It was time they knew. I also informed Daemon that if he can set aside his impulsiveness and fulfill his duty by siring an heir for Runestone, I will grant him an annulment of his marriage to Rhea Royce."

Rhaegar's confusion deepened. "But, Grandfather, if an annulment is what you desire, why not simply arrange it immediately? It's widely known that Daemon and Rhea's marriage has remained unconsummated for years."

Jaehaerys sighed, his gaze heavy with responsibility. "An annulment, in this case, would be seen as an insult to House Royce. We cannot claim that the reason behind it is Rhea's inability to bear children, as everyone knows that Daemon has not visited Rhea's bed. Not to mention Daemon's child will help us further solidify our power in the Vale "

Rhaegar frowned, struggling to grasp his grandfather's reasoning. "Then, what is your intention, Grandfather?"

A shadow of a plan began to take shape in Rhaegar's mind. "Daemon agreed to this so easily... Why would he agree to sire an heir with Rhea, especially considering how much he despises her?"