Episode 2 THE MAN IN THE HANDKERCHIEF Part 1

Start from the beginning

But the girl still smiled as her brother smiled back at her:

"You won me at it." He told her.

It irked Nami.

"I'm sorry, Luffy. Some treats I got for you where ruined in the fight. And with everything that's happened today..." The girl placed a hand on her stomach, before looking to the prow. "I should probably just take a nap-"

"There're mandarines in a crate back there." Name frowned hearing her own voice say. She kept her eyes on the metal box. "There's also a change of clothes... maybe." Her frown deepened with each word.

"Oh... I-I will look into that. Thank you very much."

Nami looked back over her shoulder, following her until she disappeared into the cabin, before turning back to concentrate on the task at hand.

"That was very nice of you." Luffy grinned with satisfaction.

"Huh?" She acted oblivious, but the pirate hunter stared with disbelief. "She looks like she could use it." She told him.

"Right..." Luffy said.

"Now, get lost both of you." She brought her ear next to the safe. "I need quiet."

For about half an hour, she worked in peace.

Luffy had climbed up in the mast (not without a threat on what she would do to him if he bent or broke her sail) and the hunter Zoro the top of her cabin (not without a threat on what would happen if he did the same with her ceiling).

Her steps could've easily flown under the radar, but Nami wasn't just any person. She sensed the girl coming out of the cabin before she saw her. She didn't turn her way, but saw how she searched for her brother and then locked eyes with the pirate hunter, before coming her way. Nami acted as if she hadn't been spying.

"Hi." Coral sat awkwardly next to her with her legs crossed. Nami didn't look.

"You changed." The girl was about to reply probably to remind her she'd suggested it, in case Nami had forgotten or changed her mind. "Never liked that skirt myself." Nami muttered.

She wore some long, ruffled pant-skirts in a sick baby pink, she couldn't remember ever buying (it probably came from a loot) and a white shirt of light material that reached her elbows in a puffy manner (something she'd be caught dead before wearing). But a smile softly crept on the girl's face, happy and comfortable in clean clothes. Nami wondered if those were were favorite colors, considering that her old dress, the one beyond repair and now perfectly folded inside the cabin, had looked similarly like a pastry.

"You are very kind." The girl told her with a honest sincerity that made Nami uncomfortable. Coral leaned closer to see her work and Nami bit hard not to snap for space.

"Uh-huh." was all she said in response.

A few seconds later and without having moved an inch, the girl continued:

"I like your clothes. I like clothes." She said with a smile.

"I like clothes." Nami responded absentmindedly.

"So do I!"

"You just said that." Noticing the girl's taken aback expression, Nami couldn't fight the unwelcome urge to add: "Only I don't have that many-"

"Me neither." The girl quickly replied.

Nami exhaled through her nose. It was obvious the girl simply wanted to keep talking to her. And here she'd thought she'd finally freed herself from the obnoxious pirate-wannabe boy.