Chapter 16

"Satoru's concern was evident as he continued, "You do realize that if you join him, the higher-ups will be after you as well, right?"

Akira nodded resolutely. "Yeah, but it's better than sitting around doing nothing and watching Suguru continue down this dark path."

Satoru let out a weary sigh, recognizing the challenges they faced. "This isn't going to be easy."

"Even if we somehow get Suguru to come back, he still has to face the consequences of what he's done..." Satoru trailed off.

Akira's voice wavered with fear as he asked, "Do you think they'll execute him?"

Satoru's response was somber. "Possibly."

The realization of the grim future that awaited Suguru weighed heavily on both of them. Akira couldn't help but search for a glimmer of hope. "What if we can convince them that he was doing this for the greater good?" he suggested.

Satoru raised a skeptical eyebrow. "How can you possibly explain that massacring an entire village was for the greater good?"

Akira knew it wouldn't be easy, but he was determined to find a way. "We'll figure something out," he said resolutely.

Satoru laid out his plan with a sense of authority. "Anyway, you're going to join him, but as a spy," he began.

Akira looked puzzled. "A spy?" he questioned.

Satoru explained his rationale. "The higher-ups will most likely approve of this, considering their desperate attempts to capture Suguru. They're willing to go to great lengths to bring him in."

Satoru's voice became stern as he continued, "But you need to be careful. If they find out that you joined him solely to support his cause, they'll consider you a traitor, and they won't hesitate to eliminate you."

Akira nodded in understanding but raised a valid concern. "What if they don't allow it? They're very strict about me not going on any missions, especially one involving a wanted man."

Satoru assured him, "I'll handle that part. I have some influence, and I can pull some strings to make it happen."

Akira considered the logistics. "Alright, what about communication?"

"We'll meet up occasionally, and then we'll go from there," Satoru suggested, realizing that they would need to be cautious in maintaining contact.

Akira affirmed his determination. "I'll try to get through to Suguru and try to bring him back."

Satoru nodded in agreement but set a strict deadline. "If you don't see any change within a month, you stop and come back."

Akira protested the short timeframe. "A month is too short," he argued.

Satoru's response was unwavering. "I don't care."

Akira tried to offer reassurance. "It'll be fine, Satoru. It's not like the Suguru we know is completely gone."

Satoru countered with the most significant argument in his mind. "He killed his parents."

Akira sighed, sensing that he needed a more compelling argument. "He's currently taking care of two little girls."

Satoru's attention was piqued at this revelation. "He saved them on his last mission here," Akira continued.

Satoru absorbed this information before standing up and setting a clear ultimatum. "A month—ONE month. I'll handle everything else. You should go pack your things," he instructed as he exited the room.

-----

In the dimly lit alleyway, Akira waited with two bags, his heart pounding with anticipation. He scanned his surroundings for any signs of Suguru, his resolve unwavering.