chapter 1

To say I wanted a get away from fame and wealth would be an understatement. I had been swept away by the current of success to such an extreme that I needed an escape from it all. So, when I decided to take a vacation to get away from it all, I never expected to find myself standing in my cabin on the edge of a far away lake, looking out into the resplendent hills in front of me.

Suddenly, I heard what sounded like faint steps on the other side of my cabin. Thinking someone was lost, I set out to investigate. There, standing in the fading light of the evening was a woman in her mid-twenties. She was clearly desperate for work and her eyes had a desperation in them that touched my heart. She must have seen some glimmer of hope in me because her voice began to tremble with anticipation as she asked me if I needed a maid for the week.

Our first meeting was tense and cold. I could tell that this woman was hard on the outside, but somewhere deep down inside of her was a kind soul longing to be seen and acknowledged. I could sense her desperation as I ran my eyes over her petite frame, taking in her warm, caramel coloured skin that glowed in the golden sun, her soft, curvy lips and gentle brown eyes, her shoulder length black hair and her modest height of 5'6'.

My replies to her questions were blunt and to the point. I remember feeling an emotion akin to guilt as I watched her back away from my cold demeanour. She seemed almost frightened of me, as her delicate form moved slowly out of sight. I shook my head as I watched her go. Maybe I could have been a bit gentler. Whatever it was, it was too late for second thoughts now.