11 - #HelloSummer

Start from the beginning

As I scanned the place for Nat, I spotted a familiar teenage girl standing near the packed pool. The combination of Almond's bright magenta T-shirt and neon yellow shorts made her stand out in the crowd.

"Almond!" I called, but she didn't hear me.

I couldn't blame her. It was like a circus out here. Plus, she was standing so close to the table where the DJ was spinning the records.

Almond had her gaze fixed on the group of young adults posing with giant inflatable fruits in the pool, perhaps waiting for her turn to snap a picture of herself with the cute floats. She bobbed her head to the beat of the music while her bony fingers toyed with the cocktail umbrella in her glass of fruit punch. As she sucked her drink through the straw, I noticed she was wearing a stack of silver and gold charm bracelets on her left hand and a blue silicone wristband on the other.

A glance at the group of people posing with surfboards at the photo booth near the tall hedges told me that the guests who wore the blue wristbands were younger than those who wore the red ones. It was then that I realized the wristbands represented the wearer's age. Those under twenty-one got blue while everyone else got red, presumably because there was alcohol served at this party.

Wow. I mentally applauded Nat for being so thorough and responsible with the party.

As Almond stepped toward the pool, I approached her and called her name again. This time, I got her attention.

"Lindsey," she greeted me with a smile and met me halfway. "Looking for Nat?"

"Yeah. Where is she?"

"She went inside a few minutes ago." Almond gestured at the patio door. "I think she's still in there."

"Alright. Thanks."

As I excused my way through the crowd, the various delectable finger foods on the buffet table made my mouth water. I snatched a mini quiche from one of the plates and tossed it into my mouth. The combination of the buttery, flaky crust and the cheesy, creamy filling drew a moan from me.

It was perfect. Absolutely perfect.

Restraining the urge to eat everything on the buffet table, I followed one of the caterers into the kitchen, where I found Nat standing near the island, dressed in a raspberry-pink bikini with a lacy cover-up. Distress marred her face as she absent-mindedly swirled the glass of red wine in her hand.

"Nat?" I called.

She snapped out of her thoughts and quickly donned a cheerful smile. "Linds!" The corners of her mouth dropped into a frown as she scanned me from head to toe. "You're a little overdressed for the day."

"Yeah, well, I don't want to ruin your party by scaring everyone off," I joked, "so—"

Nat gasped and slapped a hand over her mouth, guilt swept across her expression. "Oh my God. I'm so, so, sooo sorry. I thought you had it fixed already."

I shook my head and reassured her, "It's fine."

Guilt remained etched on her face as she bit her lower lip. "Ugh. I feel like a total witch. Wait here. I'll get you my dermatologist's number. He's done wonders with my cellulite. I'm sure—"

"Later, Nat. Later." I stopped her before she could dash out of the kitchen. "Right now, we have to focus on our mission."

"Oh, right." She nodded, determination shining in her blue eyes. "So, I've invited everyone who works at the Malibu set this season. Most of them are here already. Except for Eleanor and Sera. Eleanor has a photo shoot today while Sera's going on a trip to Florida with her boyfriend, so they won't be able to make it."