The Originals Equilibrium (Chapters 12-17)

Chapter 12

"I'm what?" Elijah questioned confused on what Serena had just said. "A Demon," she asserted. Elijah was lost for words he didn't know what to think. "It makes sense. You said you hadn't been healing very well since you escaped from the pits, right?" she asked. Elijah nodded thinking deeply about it, "I was able to walk in the sun without a daylight ring,". "You see despite popular belief among witches, Demons only feed once or twice their entire life. Usually, a Demon would fall in love and would remove the soul of their lover to begin their transformation into a demon so effectively they can you-know" She stopped remembering Nathan was there too, "Eww" he screamed dawning a look of disgust on his face. "The other way is more of a defence mechanism. If a young demon is in trouble and connects with a soul and feels that person could protect them, they remove the soul so they can do exactly that," Serena finished. Elijah looked curiously at Nathan thinking about this, "So, Nathan has been feeding of my soul? That's why I've been feeling weak". "Yes, but that only begins our problems. Usually, a demon will take a soul in one go so the person being transformed feels as little pain as possible when their horns come through and them getting their magic-" she said. "Wait, horns?" Elijah interrupted. "Shush! We'll get to that" she asserted. "Where was I, oh yes. But judging by the mark on your neck Nathan has been taking small amounts of your soul over a long period of time meaning that you have begun to transform, but the part of your soul that's left is causing the pain you've been experiencing,". Nathan's face dropped and he started to cry, "I'm sorry dad, I didn't mean to hurt you," he sobbed. Elijah bent down to him, "Don't be silly Nathan, it's not your fault," Elijah replied picking him up for a hug. "Please continue Serena," Elijah said cuddling Nathan. "Also, when demons feed, they usually pick up one or two personality traits that they inherit from the soul, so Nathan gradually feeding off your soul would mean that he would inherit even more aspects of your personality," Elijah looked down at Nathan already wearing a suit and knew that what Serena was saying was the truth. Serena then proceeded to take off one of her rings revealing a pair of horns. They were black in colour and were about 3.5 inches tall, almost looking like bone. Elijah and Nathan were stunned and intrigued by Serena horns, "hope your listening because a demons' horns are the most important thing in demon culture,". Elijah nodded putting Nathan down, "Another thing witches assume is that demon magic is limitless, it's not. A demons horns act as stabilisers, the longer the horns the weaker the demons magic, the shorter the horns the less time the magic has to be stabilised. Nathan's father was what they call a 'death touch' his horns where soo tiny but his magic was unmatched, I imagine that the both of you will have similar looking horns, especially after what you did today," she finished putting her ring back on once again concealing her horns. Elijah was lost in thought, although everything made sense on why he was feeling weaker and the pain he couldn't quite wrap his head around him becoming demon. "So is dad going to be a hybrid-thingy?" Nathan asked his mother excitedly. Serena paused she had not even had the chance to think about that, "I guess,". "Cool!" Nathan said ecstatically with a huge grin on his face. Elijah wasn't so happy. "Can we stop the transformation? Or Speed it up?" He asked. "I don't know. But, I know once a demon starts to feed they have to take the full soul, but that's it," Serena said annoyed with herself that she couldn't be much help. "Is there anyone how would, any other demons perhaps?" He asked. Serena shook her head, "All the demons are in hiding.... " she paused and her face dropped as she began to rant to herself in ancient tongue. Both Nathan and Elijah looked at her confused, Serena then walked over to Nathan and covered his ears with her hands. "My arsehole brother would know what to do," she revealed releasing her hands from Nathans ears. "I heard what you said," he replied cheekily. "Shush you," Serena joked messing up his hair. "You don't have a good relationship with him?" Elijah asked. Serena shook her head, "my younger brother's heart was used by your sister as part of her Blood Order initiation, if James hadn't run off, he would still be alive. We haven't spoken since,". Elijah was taken aback by this he could tell at the diner that Freya and the Petersons had history by the tension but had no idea that there was that much depth to it. The trio then started to head back to the rest of the pack with Serena contemplating whether she should reach out to her brother or not. When they got back the wolves had finished dealing with the overgrown foliage. "Did you think of a plan?" Elijah asked Serena remembering this morning's events which seemed like an eternity ago. "No we got distracted by the ground shaking," she smirked. "We could take a break and go into town?" Elijah said. Nathan perked up, "Can we?!" he asked excitedly. Serena and Elijah exchanged grins and she shrugged her shoulders, "Yeah we can, maybe we can get some ice cream," she said suggestively. Nathan looked at Elijah confused not knowing what ice cream was, "trust me, Nate, you'll like it," Elijah winked. Elijah then asked Alpha Peter if he needed anything since they were going to town where he replied that his magic hiccup had provided them with enough food for a while but said he needed to talk to him when he got back later. Elijah then turned to Sarah and Katrina to see if they wanted to go, Katrina politely refusing. The four of them then left the pack going into town.