XLVIII

Epilogue

The wind ripped at her head covering and dress, the cold freezing her blood. She should go inside, but she couldn't bring herself to leave his side.

Eadrid stood at the foot of Aragorn's tomb, silently shedding the tears she thought would never end. She watched dead leaves fall onto the stone statue of him over the tomb, holding his sword over his chest. And in his hands, Eadrid now noticed, alongside his sword, her dahlia flower necklace was carved into the stone.

"Take me with you," she whispered, but her words were caught in the wind, and carried far far away.

"Mother..." Eadrid turned to see Arundel approaching the tomb, dressed in black like her.

As she saw him, and the likeness that he and Aragorn held, she took her whispers back. She didn't want to leave her son.

Arundel hugged Eadrid, standing tall over her, and wrapped his arms around her, blocking her from the cold, bitter wind.

"It will be alright, mother," he said in his strong voice.

Eadrid nodded and released her arms from around her son. They faced the tomb once more.

It would be alright, because even though the end of almost a century of Aragorn's and Eadrid's time together had ended, she would always have a part of him with her, through Arundel, and his children, and every there after. Always would Eadrid have a part of him with her, as she would help guide the future kings and queens of Gondor, continuing the great work that Aragorn had begun in Middle Earth. 

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.                                   

She that will reign over two kingdoms to come,
Alongside the Ranger, honorable and wry.
Over all she will reign and escape only some,
Death offered by the hand of he who cannot die.
Though a slayer of beasts and a giver of life,
Her fount of life must rescue her yet.
Because through her death there would always be strife,
So the Queen must prosper, one cannot forget.

The End