XLVI

Eadrid woke before Aragorn, from the warm sunlight shining through the blue drapes. She opened her eyes, a sleepy smile on her face.

She had fallen asleep on Aragorn's bare chest, a hand laid upon it. As she moved only slightly, Aragorn woke.

"Good morning." He said in a rough voice.

Eadrid smiled a little wider, tracing her fingers along his chest. She looked up to him. "Good morning."

Aragorn lifted his head to look at her and lifted a hand to her face, tracing over her lips and cheeks, while his other hand moved to trace circles along her lower back.

They stayed there for a while, soaking in each other's presence, as if they hadn't had enough of each other during the night.

There was a soft knock on the door. "Milady, we must get you ready for the coronation," Edith's muffled voice came through the door.

Eadrid groaned, not wanting to leave Aragorn and this terribly comfortable bed, but slowly made her way out of the sheets.

Before she could stand, Aragorn pulled on her hand and Eadrid fell back on top of Aragorn. He brushed her lips with his, "Tell her to come back later," He mumbled.

Eadrid smiled against his lips and deepened the kiss. Aragorn held her waist and flipped her so he laid on top of her, getting a laugh out of Eadrid.

"My lady!" Edith knocked again, this time more urgent.

This time it was Aragorn who groaned.

Eadrid kissed him once more, a kiss that made him want to stay in that bed with her all day, but sighed. "You should probably go to her, unless you want her coming in the room. I would not put it past her."

Indeed, Eadrid thought he might be right. She was sure Edith wouldn't bat an eye at the strewn clothes and blankets, and would probably pull Eadrid right out of the bed herself just to get her to begin her day.

So she left Aragorn to get ready with Edith, and as soon as she left the room she found her self longing for him already.

"It is customary for the King to wear his armour for coronation, and typically the queen would wear a gown." Edith sat Eadrid in front of the vanity. "But considering our queen, I thought you might wear your armour as well."

Indeed Eadrid looked through the mirror to the bed in the room, where armour had been laid out for her.

Eadrid nodded in thanks, and Edith began her work.

_____

Eadrid stood in front of the large mirror once again, but this time someone else looked back at her. 

Yesterday, a beautiful and enchanting woman stood before the mirror, but now...

She still wore a dress, but it was a simple red gown made of light fabric. It barely skimmed the floor, and the sleeves were considerably shorter than that of her wedding gown, but this time armour laid atop it.

A fitted iron breastplate etched with the White Tree of Gondor fitted across her waist and chest, along with a piece that fitted across her neck and shoulders.

Her sword was sheathed in her detailed belt, and a cape hung from her shoulders once again, the same red fabric as her dress covering the inside of the cape. 

She looked absolutely lethal.

She didn't look terrifying, or at least she hoped she wouldn't to the people, but it was hard not to look deadly with her sharp eyes and glinting armour and sword.

Edith nodded, looking Eadrid up and down. 

"Is it almost time?" Eadrid said, her heart beginning to quicken.

Edith looked up at her with unwavering eyes. "Are you nervous, milady?" She scoffed. "Looking like that, you'd be able to kill a man with a look, or at least get them to faint, so I don't get why you would be."

Eadrid's eyes widened and she smiled. She liked Edith.

Eadrid shook her head and smoothed out her dress. "I get nervous around large crowds, I suppose."

"Well get used to it." Edith snapped, but as they met eyes, Eadrid saw a twinkle of humor in her eyes.

Eadrid nodded and smiled.

"Of course, you will put on your crown during the ceremony," Edith muttered more to herself then anything, as though she was going through a checklist in her mind. She went about the room, putting the other dresses and shoes they had tried for Eadrid back into the large wardrobe. Finally she stopped and looked to Eadrid. "It is time, my lady. You better ease those nerves of yours."

_____

Eadrid walked down the halls with Edith at her side. They finally arrived to the two large doors to the courtyard above the city, where the coronation was to be held.

Aragorn was already in front of the closed doors, waiting.

He turned as he heard her approach, and shook his head with a smile.

Eadrid herself smiled as he saw him. He was in his armour as well, the same tree across his chest. He wore chainmail underneath, and the same black cape with red underneath that Eadrid wore.

He resembled a picturesque King, and Eadrid couldn't help but think that the two together ought to look like a formidable pair. 

Aragorn walked forward to embrace her in a kiss, and their armour clinked together as they embraced.

Edith chuckled and went out of the hall to join the crowd formed in the courtyard.

As Aragorn and Eadrid pulled apart, they listened. The people outside were excitedly chattering with one another. Eadrid thought she could hear a few of the Hobbits laughing with one another.

"You two make quite the pair."

Aragorn and Eadrid turned to see Gandalf walking to them, dressed in his clean white robes.

They both smiled at him, hand in hand.

"I am proud of you both, more then either of you could ever know." Gandalf smiled and clasped a hand on their shoulders. Gandalf looked to the doors and nodded to himself. "It is time."

They nodded and let go of each others hands. Eadrid stood at the right side of the door, Aragorn the left, behind the wall so that they couldn't be seen yet.

Gandalf opened the doors, and the people fell silent.

"Men and women of Gondor," Gandalf said in a loud voice. "May I present Aragorn and Eadrid to you all."

They nodded to one another, and stepped in front of the doors, facing the people. Eadrid looked out over the large crowd, but as she did so, Aragorn lightly grazed her hand. Eadrid's heart calmed at the touch, the feeling of him next to her.

The crowd stayed silent but smiled upon them as Aragorn and Eadrid walked down two steps, turned, and knelt before Gandalf.