"What happened? After I passed out." He asked quietly, voice barely audible over the rattling of the once more moving train.

"That thing- the Dementor- started to come into the compartment." Hermione said just as quietly, when it was apparent that the others were still too shaken to speak yet,

"It got really cold. It felt like I'd never be happy again." Her voice trailed away, as tears glistened in her eyes, before she sniffled softly and continued,

"Professor Lupin tried to send it away, but it wouldn't leave. He muttered a spell and shot something silvery at it, that chased it away. After a couple minutes the lights came back on, and we realized you'd fallen out of your seat."

She suddenly stood up. Moving over to sit on the bench Harry had been laid across, she loosely hugged his arm, and leaned into his side, tears beginning to slide down her face.

"You were so pale. And you wouldn't respond to anything! I thought... I'd thought maybe..."

Here her voice became choked, and she trailed off again, burying her face in Harry's shoulder.

What little color had returned to Ron's face drained from it, Neville looked moments from fainting himself, and Ginny was crying into Ron's shoulder, her body trembling.

Harry felt sick all over again.

They all remained silent the rest of the train ride. Even Riddle didn't say anything. Harry could sense Riddle was withdrawn, brooding among the memories, or whatever, from the diary. When Harry thought about it, he pictured a house, with the magic from the diary as sort of an attached garage. There was also a strange hallway that connected the two, although Harry had been in neither.

Within the house in Harry's mind, there were pictures on every wall, depicting the time he spent at Hogwarts. The largest, and most notable picture sat above the empty fireplace, displaying Harry's best friends. The pictures immediately around them showed his fellow Gryffindors, and all the Weasleys he had met, or seen.

Looking around, Harry noticed a door under the stairs. Opening it, he found it crammed with boxes. Shifting one of the flaps on the nearest one, he saw pictures of the Dursleys. It was rather fitting, to have his childhood stuffed in a cupboard under the stair.

After what felt like an eternity, the train finally slowed into Hogsmeade station. There was a lot of noise, as everyone on the train made a dash for the platform. Hagrid was there calling for the first years, and the older students all headed towards the horseless carriages.

Harry, Hermione, Ron, Neville and Ginny managed to secure an empty carriage for themselves, and squeezed into it. Harry and Ron had never ridden in the carriages before, as last year they had been forced to take a flying car to Hogwarts, rather then the train, and ended up crashing into the Whomping Willow. It was Ginny's second year, so it was her first time as well. Not that any of them felt excited anymore. They were all still feeling the effects of the Dementors.

As their carriage trundled up towards the gates, they all felt the suffocating cold once more. Harry looked out of the carriage window, and spotted a looming figure in a dark, tattered cloak, hovering near the wrought iron gates.

"Why are the Dementors at the gates?" Neville asked shakily, looking out the opposite side as Harry.

"Probably to keep an eye out for Black." Hermione reasoned, her voice quiet and subdued. All of them were nearly overwhelmed by the dreadful feelings that the piercing cold brought.

I have something to tell you.

Harry almost jumped into Ron's lap from surprise, as Riddle's voice spoke in his mind. He had nearly forgotten Riddle was present, since he had been silent since Harry had regained consciousness.

What?

Not around others. After the feast.

Harry felt frustrated about it, but didn't say anything, as the group of Gryffindors existed the carriage when it had stopped. It had started raining during the carriage ride, so they all hurried inside after a group of Hufflepuff fifth years.

Just inside the large front doors, Peeves the havoc spreading poltergeist, was greeting the returning students with an armful of water filled balloons. 

The mischievous spirit was dressed in the most garish of outfits, loud shades of orange, green and purple clashing horribly with his blue and puce colored hat.

As they hurried towards the great hall, Harry felt one of the balloons hit his shoulder and burst, dousing himself and Neville, who was next to him.

"Peeves!" The voice of Gryffindor's head of house, and Hogwarts' deputy headmistress, filled the entrance hall, as Minerva Mcgonagall came striding down the grand staircase.

"Be off with you! Off with you, or I'll get the Baron!"

Peeves stuck out his tongue, and threw the rest of his balloons into the air, tearing away, cackling madly, as they broke over the hapless and already soaked students below.

Muttering under her breath, Professor Mcgonagall came over to where Harry and his friends were standing, caught in the jammed hallway.

Mr. Potter, Ms. Granger, a word if you would."

Harry felt his stomach sink. He hadn't done anything to get in trouble so soon. Had he?

His apprehension must have showed on his face, because Professor Mcgonagall said,

"No need to look so concerned, Potter, I only wish to speak with you both. You aren't in any trouble."

There wasn't really a way for Harry to tell his head of house that the last thing he wanted was to talk right now. So instead, he bid the rest of his friends to save him and Hermione a seat in the great hall, and followed Hermione and Mcgonagall to the latter's office.

So much for a peaceful year. Harry thought bitterly to himself.

And it has only begun. Riddle helpfully added, not making Harry feel even remotely better.