Sissonville planning for state semifinals and beyond

By JOE ALBRIGHT

josephpalbright3

SISSONVILLE – Another trip to the Class AAA state semifinals? Perhaps, a trip to the final?

Sissonville head coach Chad McClanahan doesn't see why his Indians can't return to the highest of highs.

The Indians impressed many just one year ago. After they were picked to finish sixth in the Cardinal Conference, they finished second behind Wayne.

They then knocked off Wayne in the opening round of the state tournament, before bowing out to eventual state runner-up Philip Barbour.

"We knew there was a window for success there," he said. "We do lose two four-year seniors in Madison McCutcheon and Haley Jarrett and they did great for us. Jarrett hit some big shots and McCutcheon had size and length.

"But we have some great talent coming back and the girls have been in the gym no-stop."

They are all making an effort to return to the most sought-after games of the season, according to their head coach.

Nowhere has this been more apparent than with team leader and returning all-state first-team player Kynna Britton.

"Listen, it all starts with Kynna. She shoulders a lot for us and she's been all over the place this summer strengthening her skills," McClanahan said. "She can guard 1 through five and that helps."

Her effort along with the return of two other starters, Makayla Ullman and Ava Hillabold, have the coaches thinking big.

"We aren't going to get caught up with our record," he said. "The girls have shown the ability to go through a season and as the season progresses, we see what the girls can do well and what they don't do well," he said.

Ullman, according to McClanahan, is "primed to have a really good season. She does everything wanted by the coaches and she's going to play a big role for us."

Yet, those three kids aren't the only ones putting in the time.

Ana Soblit, the team's sixth man, is a very good athlete and McClanahan expects her to step up in her junior year. Sophomores Makinley Britton and Raegan Elmore are back after impressive freshman debuts. Elmore has enjoyed a successful AAU summer.

Altogether, the recipe and players combine into a positive mix of rebounders, scorers, and tough defenders that will be tested quite thoroughly throughout the season.

Yes, their path to return to those final games won't be so simple. Class AAA could arguably feature one of the deepest state tournament fields ever.

Talent won't be at a premium.

The Cardinal and Big Ten Conferences are arguably among the best the state has to offer in Class AAA. Of the eight state tournament participants last season, six of them came from those conferences. One year later, each group is arguably better thanks to transfers and just another summer of natural progression.

The Indians will be tested right out of the gate with a Lincoln team that has their eyes on a state tournament appearance. Rob Hawkins' Cougars, led by Ashlyn Riley, must replace departed senior Megan Tucker and her 9.2 points per game. However, everyone else returns to aid in the attempt for the Cougars.

The schedule only gets tougher from there as McClanahan prepares the girls to beat the best. They will see Lewis County in the regular season, they will compete in the East Fairmont Classic, and they will likely see the Minutemaids again in the sectional final.

Should his girls survive those tests, McClanahan sees no reason why they can't be causing a stir on Twitter similar to last year when they upset top-seeded Wayne at the Charleston Coliseum and Convention Center.

"We aren't concerned with wins and losses," he said. "We are concerned with making adjustments as the season goes on. I absolutely believe we can get back to the state semifinals again this year. No doubt."