Chapter 7 Getting closer

At the Herington's mansion near Sydney Harbour, Cody found himself in Diego's room. He needed to pack his luggage for the upcoming school camping trip, but Diego's room seemed like an enticing treasure trove of clothing options.

Diego arrived home, tired from the day's endeavors, only to be met with an unexpected sight.

Diego: "What the hell are you doing here in my room?"

Cody, undeterred, responded with an air of nonchalance.

Cody: "I'm just packing my luggage for the school camping trip tomorrow."

Diego, baffled, couldn't fathom Cody's logic.

Diego: "Why are you doing it in my room, then?"

Cody flashed a mischievous grin.

Cody: "I'mma take all your clothes that I like."

Diego sighed, feeling exasperated.

Diego: "For heaven's sake! Why didn't you go shopping by yourself?"

Cody, with a hint of seriousness, fired back a question that left Diego stunned.

Cody: "Why didn't you find a girl you like by yourself? Think about it! If you don't like her for real, then back off, because she's very important to me! Don't drag other innocent people into your stupid game, alright?"

Diego, taken aback by Cody's candidness, had no choice but to concede.

Diego: "Take all the stuff you want and get out of here quickly, then!"

Cody collected his luggage and exited the room, leaving Diego in a state of perplexity.

Diego muttered to himself, still trying to process what had just transpired.

Diego: "He's so annoying!"

The clock ticked past 2 am, and Diego found himself unable to sleep, haunted by Cody's words. He had to admit that Cody had a point – fighting with his brother over a girl wasn't cool at all.

Diego questioned himself in the silence of his room.

Diego: "Do I really like Erica?"

The truth was, he didn't know. He found her cute, but was that enough?

Diego had dabbled with a few short-lived relationships, including one with Mia, but none of them had lasted more than a week. He had never put much effort into any girl in his life, always claiming his schedule was too packed for romance.

But Erica wasn't someone he could just string along. She deserved more. He needed to make a decision – to commit to her or let her go.

Thoughts of Geneva, his trusted confidante, crept into his mind. It felt strange that they hadn't talked in a while. Geneva had always been there for him, a pillar of support and guidance. He trusted her even more than he trusted himself, but there was a part of him that didn't want Geneva to know about any girls in his life. He secretly wanted to remain available in her eyes.

Meanwhile, Erica lay awake, contemplating her own thoughts. Cody could be irksome at times, but she couldn't help but empathize with his situation within their family. The loneliness could push anyone to act out.

And Diego? Erica's mind was a maze of uncertainty when it came to him. Did she genuinely like him, or was she merely going with the flow? Deep down, she sensed that Diego hadn't put in the effort to truly know her. She wasn't slighted, but she feared that their connection might lead nowhere if things continued this way.