Chapter 12- Night Patrol

Lowe, Lil, Greg, and Marcus all sat in the large car. They were waiting for the officers to finally leave the house, but they were taking forever to chat with each other. Lowe hasn't caught sight of Pauly yet, and he had momentarily wondered if she was even there. He knew she would be, though. It was a fact.

Finally, the police officers got into their various cars and drove off.

" They're gone." Lil spoke from the back seat next to Lowe. They had been careful in their seating, knowing that if Pauly managed to see with of them inside the car, she'd send them off immediately and they wouldn't be able to go in the house at all. She didn't know who Greg and Marcus were, though, so they sat in front. That way, should she walk close enough to see in, she wouldn't make the connection.

" We need to wait for Cristian. No doubt he's still with Pauly, and she has to be gone before we can go in." He reminded her. She leaned back in her seat.

It was twenty moreminutes before the pair left the house. Pauly walked to her car, talking to Cristian as she went. He followed behind her. His eyes searched until he saw them in the car. Lowe had described the vehicle to him so that he'd know they were there. He quickly looked away when Pauly turned to face him. She motioned to her car, and he shook his head, obviously refusing a ride home. She looked at the ground, and Lowe was shocked to see her look somewhat sad. She climbed in her car and pulled away. Cristian waited until she was around the corner and out of sight before he approached the BMW. The four all jumped out and met him halfway.

" Thanks for doing this Cristian." Lil smiled politely. He nodded at her, and they began walking back to the house. Marcus slipped in front beside Cristian and held his hand out to him.

" Hey. I'm Marcus, Lowe's brother."

" Cristian." He shook his hand out of courtesy. " Listen, have they filled you in on the details?"

" I got the full explanation."

" Good. So be careful. All of you. If anything happens, it'll be my job down the gutter." They all promised to be sensible. No leaving anyone alone.

Penfourth house looked different in the evening. The sun behind it was casting a long shadow over the front pathway. A pigeon was cooing from somewhere on the roof, another one answering it from the house next door.

The door to the house was always left open. It wasn't like there was anything valuable in it, and the neighbourhood was quiet enough. This also worked in their favour, as if they did need keys to enter, they would most likely be given to Pauly. They went inside, and Lowe instantly took charge.

" Alright, Marcus, Lil, and Greg, you guys check down here. Cristian and I will look upstairs, since that was where Avairy went missing." He caught a glance from Cristan. " What?"

" It's good how you're taking charge and all, Lowe, but those groups maybe aren't the best for now. How about I split us up?"

" Fine." He grumbled. He hadn't really thought the way the were grouped was actually important, as long as they found Avairy.

" Okay. Lowe and Lil check upstairs, Greg and I check that corridor again and the attic. Marcus, can you stand here and keep an eye out for people coming? I don't put it past Michelle to turn up unexpectedly." They all nodded, and Lowe had to admit, this way made more sense. But he just wanted to find Avairy. He was given a torch and spare batteries from Marcus, and Cristian warned them all again to be wary, and they all went their separate ways. Lil followed him upstairs.

He stared down the hallway. He hadn't really had a chance to see it, since he had headed straight downstairs with Cristian and Lil last time he was there. The same dated wallpaper continued through from downstairs, along with the creaky planked floor. Six doors were lined facing each other in pairs uniformly. He knew the last one on the right was where Avairy had gone missing, and so made a direct path to it. Lil followed him, having to jog slightly to keep up with his long strides. He swung open the door. He could remember the room, it looked like the security offices in buildings, a wall of screens and a single bed.

So why was he looking at a coat closet?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

" Micheal?" He jumped, facing her. He had been staring into space for quite a while, and the silence was almost painful. He smiled slightly, and she hesitated to say what she wanted to. But she needed to leave.

" I want to go back." He frowned again.

" What?"

" I want to leave. My friends..."

" Friends? Those police officers are your friends? They're trying to get rid of us!" He shouted. She inadvertently recoiled, and he noticed. Instantly, he calmed down, crossing over to her quickly and perching himself on the bed next to her. " Lissa, I'm sorry..."

" I'm not Lissa." She mumbled. " Why do you think I am?" In response, he stood up and took a framed photo from the bedside table. The photo had been angled away from her, so she hadn't really noticed it until now. He held it out to her.

It was a black and white picture of a two people, a boy and girl, and she instantly saw Micheal was the boy in the photo. He looked exactly the same, bar the different clothes he wore. He was standing next to the girl, who was noticeably shorter than him. Lissa, she guessed.

It really did look like her. She couldn't believe how similar she looked to Lissa. That's why he thought she was his sister, she realised glancing up at him. He was watching her, waiting to see her reaction. Honestly, she didn't know what to say. He was convinced she was Lissa, and no matter how much she argued, he didn't seem like he was about to change his mind. But she had to find a way to get him to let her leave. She could just tell him the truth, that Lissa was dead, but it could just make him angry...

She suddenly realised something. She managed to catch his eyes.

" Micheal? You're..." Something moving on the wall near her distracted them.

A pair of eyes.

She shuffled away from them, fighting the urge to throw up. The eyes were hazel, and the left one was slightly bloodshot in the corner. They were merged with the wall, blinking like normal. They glanced at her, seeming almost sad, then at Micheal.

" What? Show me!" He ordered after staring at the eyes for a few moments. The eyes closed, sinking back into the wall. A tv sitting in the far corner switched itself on, brining up an image. She managed to break from the shock that had froze her to see the familiar mess of blond hair.

" Lowe?" The screen switched off before she had the chance to see where he was, but he had to be in the house somewhere. Though, she wasn't sure if she was still in the house too.

Micheal mumbled something, spinning on his heels to face her.

" They can't find us! I won't let them ruin everything! Lissa, stay here. I'm going to get rid of them."

" Don't hurt them!" She blurted out quickly. He stared at her surprised, but nodded reluctantly. He disappeared out the door, and she heard it being locked behind him. Now she was stuck alone. She wasn't even able to ask him her question. Everything was confusing her now. How could she convince him to let her go? Perhaps if she tried to remember the article about Penfourth House she had read on her laptop, she'd remember something important that could help her escape? With nothing else to do, she rested back on the bed to think. Her thoughts were flooded with concern for Lowe. She hoped Micheal didn't hurt him. She hoped he found her soon. He was smarter than her. If he were with her, she'd have probably never ended up in this situation in the first place.

As more thoughts like those filled her mind, she found herself slowly drifting to sleep, until she finally gave in an allowed herself to temporarily forget her predicament and rest.