004-your dad is always mad

Start from the beginning

"Um..Last year, everyone came in costumes so we thought they would this year." Lucas spoke, looking around at everyone in their normal clothes. The Hargrove boy nodded in understanding, holding back a funny but mean comment.

"What class have you got next?" Rocky asked the group of boys infront of him, still under the gaze of Mike.

"English"

"Science"

"Science"

"History" Mike called out, causing Rocky to lock eyes with him.

"Oh.Can I sit by you then Mike?" Rocky asked, his voice cracking slightly. The boy nodded before walking off. The boy trailed next to him like a lost puppy as they walked into school. "So..What do you like to do after School?" Rocky asked, trying to make small talk as History is in the very back of the school. Mike sighed before looking at him.

"D&D. What about you?" Mike told him, before repeating the same question.

"Karate." Rocky answered,shrugging. His answer caused the boy next to him to hum in suprisment.

"Is that why you always have so much bruises?" Mike asked, looking at the floor. This question caught Rocky of guard. He doesn't like lying to new friends but he can't tell the boy what's happening at home. No way. Maybe one day if they get closer.

"Um... Yeah!" Rocky answered, his voice suspicously high. He gulped as Mike stopped to look at him. He scanned Rocky's face over and over again.The bell rung causing Rocky to turn away before Mike asked him the question once again. "Oh Ahahaha! The bell went.. So we should probally get to class"  Rocky spluttered out before walking to his first period,Mike followimg after him shortly.

The class droned on until it felt like it was on for 7 hours,while it only went on for 2. It was now time for break. History was horrible. Mike hadn't stopped looking at him for the whole lesson, he could pratically feel his eyes scanning every individual cut and bruise on his face. As soon as the bell rung,Rocky ran out pf there to the toilets that no one ever went in and stood infront of the sinks. He rolled up his jumper sleeve and examined a gash trailing from his wrist up to his elbow. He winced in pain as the fibres from his jumper lay in the wound.

"That can't be from karate." The familliar sour voice caused him to shoot his head up. Mike Wheeler stood in the doorway of the toilet. Rocky mentally cursed inside his head before shoving his sleve back down amd avoiding eye contact with the boy. Loud footsteps indicated that Mike was coming closer.

"Come over to my house after school..We're going trick or treating and we want you to come" Mike told him, Rocky locked eyes with the boy and smiled softly. He nodded quietly before making his way outside with Mike trailing after him like a lost puppy.

It was the end of the school day and Rocky started to search the crowds of children for his stepsisters fiery hair. A glimpse of red caught his attention as Lucas and Max walked out the double doors together. He began to walk towards them,skateboard under his arm. As he got there, they had vanished into the sea of children.

"Rocky!" A voice called out, a girlish voice. Max. Rocky scanned the crowd of people and soon spotted her infront of a lamp post. He made his way over quickly. "Lucas and Dustin asked me to go trick or treating tonight..Did they ask you?" Max asked, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Yeah.. That reminds me.Im hanging out with a friend tonight but i'll see you at trick or treating" Rocky told her, before skating off into the distance. His dark red back pack was full to the brim. He had his school book, first aid kit and his karate costume for tonight. Rocky had seen the oldest wheeler enter the house once before when he explored the town in his first week at Hawkins. He had also seen Mike bike home from the arcade multiple times as he zoomed past on his skateboard.