Part 15 Two Fathers

Duke Alpheus simply smiled and gave a small pat on the head to the little girl. The duke cherishes the little girl's cheeks and greeted her as a loving heart.

  "And a good evening to you, Jennette." Jennette smiled in response and gave a simple nod. Jennette had been waiting for her uncle for some time. Usually he would be back before dawn but today was different somehow. She was not sure why. She could only feel the discomfort in her uncle's eyes. A usually bright gold colour looked dull and grey to her. It looked like he was...possessed. But she neatly shrugged it off and smiled yet again.

  "How was your day, Uncle? Did you see father today?"
"Umm no, his majesty was busy with his own affairs"
"Oh i see, did you enjoy your trip then?"
"... yes"

Jennette looked directly in her uncle's eyes. He was lying. She knew that for sure. She would know since she was basically raised by her uncle. She knows how he would lie to her. His eyes would look away slight before staring down at her fiercely. But Jennette decided to ignore his attempts as she has done so all her life.

  As for Cale, he sat down and fixed his posture a bit. He was nervous. He wasn't sure why. Maybe because this was his chance to know more than what anyone has ever told him. About his mother. Her family. Something he could tell his father when he returns. He bet he would praise him for that.

At this point, Claude had noticed Cale's eyes staring at him. He knew Cale wasn't trying to be hostile, rather he could tell those were eyes of curiosity. Something his mother had too. It was probably something only Claude could see. Not even Felix could differentiate them. Now that Claude thought about it, Jour always had straight face. Even when she was happy, hardly anyone could notice it. That was probably why many found her sometimes strange yet interesting.

  After a few moments of thinking, Claude went back to his papers and Cale noticed this. Cale knew he should leave soon so he needed to make this quick.

  "Your Majesty?"
  *Silence*
  "Umm... your majesty?"
  "Son, call me father" Claude said as he flipped the document in his hands.
  "..Must I?" Cale asked, worried if he really should call a man who doesn't know him well 'father'.
  "Cale," Claude looked up at him.
  "You are my son, are you not?"
  "..I am" Cale said as he turned his glaze away.
  '..' Claude stood up and kneeled in front of Cale. Placing his hand on Cale's hair and ruffling it.
  "You are." Claude said with a smile.
  "..I understand that"
  "I don't think you do." Claude observed Cale's eyes carefully. Confusion and worry. Worry? Why?
  "Son, what's wrong?" Claude thought of many possibilities of why Cale was feeling this way. Is he being bullied? Ashamed? Dows he not believe him?
All sorts of questions cane to mind.

".. I have my other father at home...he's waiting for me"