Chapter One

** My Mattie is played by Maia Mitchell  Please remember this work is UNEDITED so there will be spelling and/or grammar mistakes in it. **

Liar.

That one word screams into my head over and over as I stare at the picture of me and my mom. Doc is babbling, but I haven't heard a word of it. All I can focus on is that he lied to me. He knew who I was when he got my email all those months ago. I trusted him, told him everything!

The only people who have never lied to me are a demon who's decided I'm his new pet project and my father, who's not a very nice man either. He admits it, doesn't apologize for it, but he doesn't lie. I snort at the stupidity of it. The only people I can trust are the very ones I shouldn't.          

"Mattie, please listen to me."

Because your mother gave it to me...         

Doctor Lawrence Olivet, spook doctor extraordinaire, and my friend.

Or so I thought.

He knew my mom, knew me. He said she gave the picture to him, but why? Did she tell him what I can do? Is that why he was so eager to get to know me? What's his angle? Why did he want to get close to me? Make me trust him?

"I'm not the enemy, Mattie," Doc says softly. "I just want to help you."

"By lying to me?" I almost shout the words, but I try to stay calm. I need to stay calm. "How did you get in the house?"

"A key," he says, running a hand through his dark brown hair. "It was left under the mat. Not a very good hiding spot."

No, it isn't, but I can fix that. 

Doc takes a step towards me and I automatically take one back. The sink is right behind me and Mrs. Cross keeps her knives in their block right beside the sink. I have a weapon if I need it.

"Do you honestly think I would you hurt?" he asks, wounded.

"I don't know," I answer, remembering the crazy look in his eyes when I'd first got here. He'd reminded me of Silas, the demon who knows way too much about me. Silas scares the bejesus out of me.

He sighs and the demonic look is back in his eyes. It's hard to describe. It makes me shiver though. His eyes remind me of a frozen lake you are walking on and then just when you think you're safe, it cracks and you go under.

"Mattie, all I've ever wanted is to make sure you're safe. I thought about telling you everything the first day we met. That was my intention from the moment you contacted me. Then I met you, and realized you wouldn't be as receptive as I'd hoped. You have serious trust issues and I needed you to trust me. When you told me about your father, I knew I had to tell you, though, knew you needed to know why your mother sent you away with Amanda. All I want is to protect you. I swear to all that's holy, that is the only intention I've ever had."

It's just too much and I can't think. After Meg and Jake dying right in front of me tonight, this is just too much. I need to scream, to cry, or to hit something or someone. All the emotions I've been holding at bay start to build up, the anger, the fury...the pain.

Doc's eyes go wide and he takes several steps away from me. I'm guessing my eyes have gone black. They seem to be doing that a lot since Dan almost died. Something snapped in me during those three days I sat by his hospital bed, begging him not to die. I can't seem to stomp down my need to cause other's pain anymore. Right now, that need is directed at Doc.

"Mattie, you need to calm down," he whispers, inching farther away from me. "I'm not going to hurt you, I promise. If you'll just let me explain, you'll understand."