ㅤ"James," Alex said.

ㅤJames gave him attention, looking blankly. If Alex noticed the new gloves, he didn't mention so.

ㅤ"You're muttering again," Alex warned him nervously.

ㅤJames clicked his tongue. "It's been half an hour without Eris. I'm just thinking out loud. It's not that fucking deep."

ㅤAlex held his palms up in a mock surrender and James promptly forgave him. Alex had seen him at his worst, after all.

ㅤSomething at one of the stalls caught his attention, like a jewel sparkling to the eyes of a crow. He grabbed Alex's wrist and dragged him a few steps away.

ㅤ"Here, look at this. Isn't it cool?"

ㅤHe picked up a dreamcatcher from a stand and thrust it into Alex's face.

ㅤUnlike the traditional use of cotton, this one was made from small slithers of woven leather, intricately threaded into a pattern that resembled a spider's web. It was adorned with black feathers that possibly had a blue shine, if he was seeing it right. It was pretty.

ㅤAlex patiently regarded it, but didn't seem so impressed, and James frowned slightly.

ㅤ"I'll buy it for you," James offered. He wedged it under his arm and counted out the silver bits in his hands.

ㅤAlex watched him do so. "With what? My money?"

ㅤJames smirked but then turned his nose up in challenge. He paid for it and then held it out between them, urging Alex to take it.

ㅤ"You realise I'm loaded, right?" James informed him.

ㅤAlex rolled his eyes. "Right, in wit?"

ㅤJames didn't smile at the joke. "I'm rich enough to buy a title, if I wanted."

ㅤAlex was about to retort but then hesitated, regarding him suspiciously. Instead of receiving James' gift, he crossed his arms.

ㅤ"That's a lie," Alex stated, "murder doesn't pay that well."

ㅤ"It does when you're not a drug-addicted thug. I'm a pro, Alex. There's no one in this kingdom who doesn't know my name, who hasn't seen my poster. I get free advertising from you guys. Thanks, by the way."

ㅤAfter one last hard stare, Alex finally took the dreamcatcher and inspected it. He then passed it off for Thomas to carry. It wasn't quite the reaction James had wanted, but he didn't allow himself to feel too disheartened. Alex never appreciated beauty straight away, he always needed to warm up to these things first.

ㅤ"It'll help with your nightmares," James promised.

ㅤ"I think you're the one who needs helping in that aspect," Alex retorted. "Now, can I have my purse back?"

ㅤJames frowned. He tossed it over, aiming it so Alex would have to take an awkward step back to catch it.

ㅤ"Are you two done?" Riley asked impatiently, coming over to them. "This is the perfect time for us to go in."

ㅤ"What do you mean?"

ㅤ"The guards have their lunch later," Riley explained. "Lots of civil servants go into the archives on their lunch breaks so that's when the guards are most vigilant. We want to be there right after that moment, when they all go for their own meal. It'll be more lax."

ㅤAlex didn't need more convincing than that. He walked away with the others, not looking back. James scoffed but did his best to forgive the man. Alex was more stressed than usual, which was an impressive feat. He needed to be considerate of things like this if he wanted Alex to like him.