Sapnap shrugged. "Not song, but I did burst into flames."

". . . Of course you did."

At that moment, Karl swooped in, all bright colors and brighter smiles. "Quack! Sap! How are you guys?"

"Just peachy," Quackity grouched, then waved off Karl's look of concern. "No, no, it's nothing serious. Just some ducks that kept me up last night."

". . . Ducks?"

Quackity pointed at the ducks. Karl blinked. "Ah."

"So how's your memory?"

Karl winced. "I didn't know we planned a date," he confessed. "But I wrote it down! So technically I didn't forget!"

Quackity hummed. "And your last memory of me?"

"Waving to you on the road from Las Nevadas." When Quackity's shoulders relaxed, Karl beamed. "It's the right memory?"

"Yep. Looks like you're getting better." Quackity nudged Sapnap, breaking the tension. "Okay, enough with the serious talk - where are we going?"

"I heard Niki's been experimenting with danishes," Sapnap offered. "Cherry and greek yogurt. You up for something sweet?"

"Hell yes. Niki's goods are the best. Though--" Quackity hesitated, then held up a finger. "I just gotta-- one thing."

He turned to the ducks. "Stay," he ordered. "This is for us only. Got it?"

One duck quacked. The other ruffled its feathers and hopped off the path, wandering towards a pond in the distance. Quackity nodded to himself, then turned back to his amused fiancés.

"Right. Let's go get some danishes."

~~~

Karl stared at him, lips set in a neutral line. His vacant gaze roamed across Quackity's face. "Who are you?"

"Quackity," Quackity whispered. He reached out, taking Karl's hand. "Karl, it's me. It's Q. You know who I am."

Karl took a step back, jerking his hand from Quackity's grasp. "Woah there. Personal space."

"Karl, it's me! You know me!"

"I don't," Karl said, and he was already moving away, fading into the distance. Quackity lunged after him, only for a hand to close around his wrist and drag him back.

"Where do you think you're going?" The stench of alcohol and cologne washed over him, horribly familiar. Quackity stiffened, cold horror clamping around his heart even as he turned to face his attacker.

"Y-your dead," he stammered, trying desperately to tug his wrist free. "You can't-- you can't be here--"

"Now whoever told you that?" Schlatt's grasp tightened. "Hey. Stop that."

Quackity didn't stop, instead redoubling his efforts. "Let go! Let go of me, you bastard!"

Schlatt went still, and Quackity knew he'd gone too far. Slowly, finger by finger, Schlatt released his wrist, and Quackity stumbled back, throwing his hands up as he tried to protect himself from the incoming--

QUACK!

Quackity shot up, panting like he'd run a mile. Something nudged his hand, and he flinched, looking down to see Pest #1 settled on his lap.

". . . Fuck," he groaned, slumping forward and scrubbing a hand down his face. He took a moment to slow his heartbeat, breathing in slow, even, strokes. Thankfully, the duck remained docile through the episode. Quackity didn't think he could handle any surprises.