chapter III

: ̗̀➛ੈ✩‧₊˚

— daylight !chapter three ; goodbye j

daylight !
chapter three ; goodbye j. evans pritchard, hello dead poets society

THE CLOUDS DRIFTED ACROOS THE SKY, creating a calm shadow over the world

THE CLOUDS DRIFTED ACROOS THE SKY, creating a calm shadow over the world. I stare out the window as the class settles down.

Someone taps my shoulder and I turn to see Neil smiling at me. "Good afternoon," he says. I check my watch. 12:27.

"Good afternoon," I reply.

Neil takes his seat as Mr. Keating walks into the room and sits at his desk. "Ladies and gentlemen, open your texts to page 21 of the introduction," he instructs. The whole class complies.

Before he can continue, a boy rushes into the classroom. "Sorry, I'm late, Mr. Keating. I had to visit Mr. Nolan," he apologises, his British accent thick. The class chuckles, immediately assuming he was in trouble.

"No worries, James," Mr. Keating assures. "Please, take your seat." James sits down at his usual desk next to Todd, smiling at him. I watch as Todd smiles back before turning to the front again.

Keating starts again. "Now, as I was saying, please open your texts to page 21 of the introduction." He flicks through the pages of his own book. "Mr. Perry, will you read the opening paragraph of the preface, entitled 'Understanding Poetry'?"

I blush as Neil slips on his reading glasses.

He begins to read. "'Understanding Poetry, by Dr. J. Evans Pritchard, Ph.D. To fully understand poetry, we must first be fluent with its metre, rhyme, and figure of speech, then ask two questions. One: How artfully has the objective of the poem been rendered? And two: How important is that objective? Question one rates the poem's perfection. Question two rates the poem's importance. And once these questions have been answered, determining the poem's greatness becomes a relatively simple matter."