013. 𝑐𝑜𝑚𝑝𝑟𝑖𝑚𝑖𝑠𝑒𝑑

Start from the beginning

"You jumped out of a train. I don't know if I could've asked any more of you. I'm the one who should've done more" he said.

Freya sighed as she grabbed his arm and forced him to look at her.

"Did I ever tell you about the last battle I was sent in too?" she asked him and Steve shook his head.

"Well, I use to command Asgard's most elite force, the Valkryie. Comprised of our strognest female warriors. We were tasked by Odin to take down a very powerful enemy. But we lost" she said, pausing as she relived the horrible memory.

"I lost. Every one of those warriors who followed me was gone. I've sat with that loss for a very long time. But something that I've learned about being a leader, from watching you, is that you have to trust your team. Trust that they knew what they were doing when they agreed to follow you. That they saw something in you that you didn't even see. And as hard as it might be you have to respect that they knew what they were getting into" she said, squeezing his hand.

"In Asgard, we believe in Valhalla. It is where all the brave go who've been lost in battle. It's said to be a glorious place where one would be honored to go. If it brings you any comfort at all, I'm sure that Bucky has found his peace there."

A small smile grew on Steve's face as he squeezed her hand. "Thank you."

⋆⁺₊⋆ ☾ ⋆⁺₊⋆ ☁︎

Holding a napkin in her hand that had been folded into intricate patterns, Freya smiled as she held it up, the shape of a swan becoming clear.

Steve looked at her and back down to the crumbled paper in his own hands.

"Don't worry" she laughed. "When my mother first taught me mine looked like that too."

"You don't talk about her a lot," Steve said.

Freya shrugged, looking down at the plate in front of her. "She died a long time ago. I was pretty young."

"What about your dad?" he asked.

"He died in battle before I was born. He was second in command to Odin, the Allfather. I never got to meet him but I've heard great things about him" she said.

"I'm sorry. I never knew my dad either. He fought in World War One. Its part of the reason I wanted to serve so badly" Steve said.

"I understand. It can be hard to follow in such greatness" Freya said.

"I think you're doing pretty great," Steve said.

Freya turned to him with a sad smile. "I think you might be the only one who thinks that."

"What do you mean?" he asked.

"Odin hasn't even acknowledged me since I returned to Asgard. I believe he thinks of me to be a failure. It wouldn't be the first time" she said.

"Hey. You're not a failure. You helped us stop Loki. You saved Stark and all of us" Steve said.

"Hmm. Well, I guess that is high praise coming from thee Captain America, the living legend himself" Freya teased.

Steve rolled his eyes but had a small smile on his face.

"Do you think they pray to you at your temple?" she asked, popping another fry in her mouth.