Schemes And Scandals

Start from the beginning

A royal marriage was to be a dazzling and outrageously expensive affair. Thankfully, the crowns's coffers were substantial and the revenue provided from the upcoming nobles, foreign dignitaries and merchant princes would make sure no dents are suffered.

The invitation she dreaded and hated sending the most was to her stepdaughter and her bloodthirsty consort and their brood.

It would be too obvious not to send word. She's planning to champion her son as heir to the iron throne but refusing to allow the current heir to attend this marriage is proof of her plot.

She can however delay as long as possible. It takes a day for a raven to reach Dragonstone's rookery. So receiving a missive just a sennight before the titular event is technically rude but not flagrantly so.

Rhaenyra has no concept of subtle insults so she doubts the hidden meaning will even picked up on.

Such a shame.

Another correspondence she sent that didn't exactly please her but she knew was important was to the Velaryons.

The Sea Snake and princess Rhaenys gambled everything they had on Rhaenyra's claim and what do they have to show for it.

Bastard heirs without a single drop of Velaryon blood. Both their children dead. Their son Ser Laenor rumored to have been killed by their former good-children who wed one other just days after the death took place.

Rhaenyra had permanently cut any relationship between her and Alicent after the wedding to Viserys. She called her a traitor for trying to replace her mother who died half a year past.

And yet she found no problem with replacing lady Laena, Baela and Rhaena's mother, dead only a fortnight prior.

Her hypocrisy is laughable.

But her constant blunders offer an opportunity to Alicent's cause.

Corlys is a man motivated by ambition above all. Aegon's hand in marriage is a very powerful bargaining chip, loath as she is to admit it. Not the spare to the spare. But the future king.

As the situation stands, Jacaerys Waters will inherit the crown after his mother. And Lucerys will sit the Driftwood throne.

A man so obsessed with legacy will have virtually lost everything. So she intends to offer him a way out.

Agree to offer his support should any conflict arise and at the opportune moment denounce the Strong bastards as his kin and his granddaughter will be Queen. His old position and any other favors or requests could be agreed upon in further conversations.

She sincerely hopes he agrees to the alliance and practices discretion above all. With Daemon walking about, legally he can refute any deal involving his daughter's hand.

But the Rogue Prince is a mad dog without a leach. She doubts he'll live for long when Viserys finally croakes and dies.

How she longs and fears that day in equal measure.

**

After grueling hours holding another court session, the Light of the South made her way to her daughter's rooms.

Rich and beautiful fabrics were sent from all over the kingdoms and even the free-cities. Her daughter said she would wear the most exquisite wedding dress and she was never one to discredit an oracle of the Gods.

She might be mistaken but she was almost certain she heard the sound of laughing coming from Heleana's room. Her ladies all leave before this time. Her daughter enjoys her privacy.

No. Her suspicions are wrong.

They have to be.

She knocks on the door before entering. The room is vacant thank the Seven. Her daughter's working on her maiden's cloak and humming a song she used to sing to her as a babe.

She looks ethereal.

Her children were the only blessing in her life.

They were more than enough.

"Hello darling. Is the cloak nearly finished?"

She sits next to her on the bed and examines the cloth with her hands. Her daughter was always gifted at sewing and embroidery. Her predilection for exotic insects had transferred over to her arts. She remembered when she gifted her a handkerchief with an emerald spider as a child. It was as beautiful as it was strange.

"Yes, Mother. Lady Celia has been helping me. It should be done by tomorrow or the day after at the latest."

"Good. And about what happens after the wedding ceremony itself. There's something we must talk about."

It was a delicate topic to put it lightly. Heleana was touch sensitive already. The consummation will be ... difficult.

"The feast you mean? Don't worry I won't drown in my cups or overindulge in eating."

Gods bless her. My sweet summer child.

"No. It's about the ... bedding."

"Oh! Aegon told me about that."

"He what?" She nearly shouted in amazement. What in the name of the Father was he thinking. Foolish lustful boy.

"He said Cregan and I will lie together. We'll be joined as one and express our love physically. It could hurt at first but only for a moment. It was a bit frightening to think about. But exciting as well. I know my wolf would never harm me."

"That's ... about right. Good night, my love." She couldn't refute the claim hard as she tried. She just couldn't.

The way Helaena spoke about that northman nearly made her heart melt. The key word being nearly. She'll have to keep a closer eye on her pious daughter to make sure she remain chaste until the wedding.

And limit any and all interactions with Aegon for the next fortnight. His description was surprisingly tame and gentle but he shouldn't be putting any thoughts into her mind at the moment.

Seven hells. Who is she fooling.